View Single Post
Old 06-13-2012, 05:33 PM
mikec

Default Singer 15-91 ugly bottom stitching

First, let me qualify: I have no experience sewing, save for sewing a patch on a uniform or an emergency repair... That being said, I purchased a Singer 15-91 because I read that it is a good machine for sewing marine canvas. Which I have, in need of repair. Sunbrella is the brand of canvas to be specific. At any rate, after about 4 hours or reading, experimenting, and cursing, I was able to successfully make it stitch without a) breaking needles, or b) jamming up into a tangled mess. However, I am still getting ugly bunches of overlapping thread on the bottom on the material. Topside looks great. Details: I am using a #14 singer needle with Gore Tenera V92 thread. I guessed at the bobbin tension, and the top tension is pretty much in the middle. (Tenera is very slippery, as it is basically PTFE, or teflon.) I'll be sewing through about 2-3 layers of sunbrella canvas. Any ideas?
The full size image is here:http://www.pbase.com/mchad/image/144031062/original - it's too big to display here.