Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 15-91 ugly bottom stitching >

Singer 15-91 ugly bottom stitching

Singer 15-91 ugly bottom stitching

Old 06-16-2012, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by mikec View Post
Well, I think I finally found the problem. Top tension. I decided it had to be a setting. So, I basically tried every combination of bobbin tension, and upper tension. I found that the higher the top tension, the less the underside bunching. My only problem now is that I have the top tension at max (10), and I am getting 97% good stitches. I imaging an 11 or 12 would get me 100%

Only problem is that there is no 11 or 12... So I am thinking that my top tension adjuster is bad, worn out spring perhaps? I'm going to see if I can replace the assembly before I start sewing my $1000 boat canvas. I finally see light at the end of the tunnel!
If it's just a matter of needing a 11 or 12 tension number then that is a super easy fix. I know that I have a link to fixing it and I'll post it as soon as I find it.

This isn't the one that I was telling you about but it's a really good tutorial, also:
http://www.treadleon.net/sewingmachi...djustment.html

Last edited by cabbagepatchkid; 06-16-2012 at 07:35 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:03 AM

My 15-91 threads right to left, and it works beautifully that way.

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I guess you could try it both ways and see what works best for that machine. The needle threads from the left to the right. The needle goes in flat side toward the machine. It can be very frustrating getting it tweaked. Right now, I have a Singer 15 that pukes out bobbin cases & bobbins no matter if I have the take up lever all the way up, the bobbin 'clicked' into the groove or a new bobbin. Turn the wheel and pop - there it goes... rolls right out. I think some babies just puke. This machine looks like it has had VERY little use. I should try a different bobbin case AND bobbin and see what it does. Anyway it happens...
Old 06-20-2013, 06:21 PM
Power Poster

Muv made a good video about how to thread these machines: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2tiiZ51J7g I have learned a lot more since this post was new. Now I routinely take apart the tension. I clean the dead oil off the springs etc. Then I rebuild. They adjust so much easier. This manual has good info: http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...achine_manual/ I recently set one up with a hand crank & heavy thread - WOW it now sews through about anything.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:48 AM

This thread was so fascinating my coffee got cold. Can't wait to get the bobbin case for my 15-91. I even have some Sunbrella canvas someone gave me cause the canopy kept ripping at the stitches. Wheee. Ya'll are the greatest!
Old 06-21-2013, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by redmadder View Post
This thread was so fascinating my coffee got cold. Can't wait to get the bobbin case for my 15-91. I even have some Sunbrella canvas someone gave me cause the canopy kept ripping at the stitches. Wheee. Ya'll are the greatest!
Use a 16 needle with 69 thread and 18 with 92 and adjust tensions for a tight stitch and the 15 does a wonderful job on Sunbrella. I do it all along. It probably goes without saying, use same thread in top and bottom and assure tensioners are clean. All other basics completed you're in for a pleasant sewing.

Last edited by Vridar; 06-21-2013 at 05:50 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by redmadder View Post
...Sunbrella canvas someone gave me cause the canopy kept ripping at the stitches.
Polypropylene webbing incorporated in the hems assure the stitching will not rip out. I routinely do this for snaps in boat covers and wear areas.

Ron
Old 06-21-2013, 08:38 PM

OH MY MY MY! Where was this thread two weeks ago? I recently bought a 15-91(Circa 1951) Centennial. And got my first order from Sew Classic(that was fast!)I finally relented and took in to the local repair shop. I either had the bobbin thread showing on top or had the needle thread showing on the bottom and that was with 2 different bobbin cases, played, tweaked adjusted on and on..
Mine threads right to left too...had to break a gazillion threads 'til I remembered somewhere on QB said to thread R-L.
I plan using the Singer for SITD and learning FMQ and denim and who knows what else...
Hope to post a pic when she gets back from the spa.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jo Anne B. View Post
OH MY MY MY! Where was this thread two weeks ago? I recently bought a 15-91(Circa 1951) Centennial. And got my first order from Sew Classic(that was fast!)I finally relented and took in to the local repair shop. I either had the bobbin thread showing on top or had the needle thread showing on the bottom and that was with 2 different bobbin cases, played, tweaked adjusted on and on..
Mine threads right to left too...had to break a gazillion threads 'til I remembered somewhere on QB said to thread R-L.
I plan using the Singer for SITD and learning FMQ and denim and who knows what else...
Hope to post a pic when she gets back from the spa.
Don't feel one bit guilty for taking it to a shop. It should be a very nice machine for you now.