Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: MY TOP STITCHING IS ON THE BOTTOM

I have a Singer 4830. I don't know what I did but my top stitching is on the bottom. I have read through my manual but can't find any way to reverse it. I took out the bobbin casing, cleaned all lint out. I also top off the bottom to clean all the lint out there. I never thought to remove the bottom of my machine before, it was full of lint. I have made sure it is threaded correctly, adjusted the tension, but nothing seems to work. Can anybody out there help me please.

I am not familiar with your machine. I just looked at my handy little print out and it says 'if your top thread is visible on the bottom then your top tension is too loose'.

Sounds like your tension, check your manual it should show pictures.

Eri
    I had that problem for a long time with my Kenmore--it would happen randomly and then sometimes it would go away--it turns out that on my particular machine the "auto tension" is too loose, I resolved it by leaving the tension increased all the time and only using high quality thread. The Coats & Clark stuff is awful, the higher quality stuff is well-worth the significant extra expense.

are you using polyester thread? The cheap stuff causes all kinds of problems

Thank You. I called the Singer Retailer, she told me to rethread, change the needle and check the tension.

Blog Entries
    I just had the same issue...its the tension....use a lower number.

I never thought about the thread. I do use Coats and Clark. I had to stop using Coats and Clark Embroidery thread because it would not sew the designs out correctly. A friend of mine recommended using thread from Connceting Threads, I think I am going to have to order some.

ok

Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    I just had the same issue...its the tension....use a lower number.
    thank you, I had it on 4 or 5, changed it to 2. Stitches are great, thank you so much, this is why I love this board.

Blog Entries
    I no longer use Coats and Clark it leaves to much thread/crap in my machine...I only use Sulky thread. I buy when on sale...buy one get one free at Joannes...

Blog Entries
    Nice to know before i have these problems.

Hey ladies, after rethreading, changing the bobbin, adjusting the tension and freeing my machine of so much lint, I finally realized what the problem was. I looked at my bobbins, some had Singer on them and some didn't. I realized I was using the one that did not have Singer on it. During all the trouble shooting I changeed bobbin to one with Singer on it not realizing it could make a difference. The that is not a Singer bobbin fits very loosly in the bobbin case and I was hearing a little rattling of the bobbin but never thought it made a difference. I am going through my bobbins to remove the ones that does not have Singer on them. My machine is very cleaned and oiled now. Being sewing all morning. Thank you ladies.