Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand stitching bottom Stitches.... >

Hand stitching bottom Stitches....

Hand stitching bottom Stitches....

Old 09-24-2011, 07:54 AM

When hand quilting, does it make alot of difference if the back stitches aren't as nice as the top stitches? I've noticed on the QB that each person has their own ways of stitching, some do one stitch at a time, others do the rocking motion thing but I haven't noticed anyone saying how the back should look. I would think it would matter but how important is it.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:59 AM

I try and make sure my stitches go all the way through to the back, but I don't go crazy over how they look. When I hand quilt, I try and make sure the needle goes straight down through the layers, instead of at an angle, and I feel the tip coming out the bottom. That helps make them about the same size as the front.

If you're really concerned about how the back looks, you can hide a lot of imperfections by using a print fabric for the quilt back.

Janet
Old 09-24-2011, 08:18 AM

My back stitches tend to be at an angel and I would like them not to. I haven't got the "rocking" down yet so I do the "stab" stitches. I will need to watch this one. Thanks
Old 09-24-2011, 08:48 AM
Banned

I will answer from the Judge's point of view.
Some judges want to see the back stitches the same size and evenness as the front.
Some will want the back stitches to penetrate evenly and consistently.
I have seen few quilt in my many many years of judging that the back was the same as the top. So I look for the penetration and consistency of the back stitch. I have found it difficult to make the back stitch the same as the top due to the way the needle goes thru all the layers. You can control the top better than the back.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:26 AM

Thank you for your much needed and valued statement. I do one stitch at a time and have noticed that my back is getting more even all the time. I guess it's (as usual) practice, practice, practice. Carol

Originally Posted by Holice
Some judges want to see the back stitches the same size and evenness as the front.
I have seen few quilt in my many many years of judging that the back was the same as the top. So I look for the penetration and consistency of the back stitch. I have found it difficult to make the back stitch the same as the top due to the way the needle goes thru all the layers. You can control the top better than the back.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:28 AM

Coming from the 'judges point of view' I guess this just about answers my question. Although, I'm sure others will have different opinions of their own. I'm almost to the point of putting my layers together to quilt. Hopefully, it won't look too bad. This is my very first full size quilt...Thanks you so much for you expertise...
Originally Posted by Holice
Old 09-24-2011, 11:34 AM

For me it is also a matter of the fabric quality I use. Some fabrics are very easy to needle, with others (with a lower thread count) it's not so easy. On some of my quilts the stitches on the back are even and consistent and on others they are not, although I used the same batting and the same thread brand.
I have to confess I don't care too much about the back of my quilts. I always try to do my very best - that is all I can do! :)