View Single Post
Old 06-14-2012, 01:40 PM
KSue

So sorry for the loss of your beloved cat. I don't really have a huge bedroom that my sewing is in but it is doable for me. I just took everything that was in the tubs out to my dining room so I could move around and I just started in folding the fabric that is on my shelves. I started out trying to organize by color, etc. but it got too overwhelming for me so I just concentrated on the folding. I have a 3 bedroom house and no children at home so the room was a blessing for me. I just wanted to become more organized - I didn't intend on starting in that room but it sort of just happened. So yes, sewing rooms can get complicated!! Thank you for sharing.
Originally Posted by Hagridsmom View Post
I like the idea of using up your fabric in order to organize it but you have to be able to find it first! I moved 4 years ago and still don't have my sewing room set up. I used to work in a sewing machine store so ... I have 2 big tables that unfold, etc and way too many machines. One of these tables is currently in the living room and it is not attractive or being used there. Not to mention scores of the BIG plastic bins (toddler sized) with projects seperated and in the large 2 gallon or bigger ziploc bags. Then there are numerous bins of "assorted miscellaneous". I also do machine embroidery, and machine knitting which has it's own tables and big cones of yarn!! ... I was incredibly lucky and was able to find a big set of used kitchen cabinets that are curently sitting in my garage waiting for inspiration. I don't have the room to spread everything out in order to go thru it. Someday I will have a great sewing area - but when is that day going to be? I did use peg board and that helps alot - rules, zippers, rotary cutters, quilt stencils and small items that I was afraid would get lost in the shuffle.
To make things even better I had a cat that lived in the sewing room 24/7 as a behaviour mod program. He was in there on the advice of the vet but still managed to develop more bladder/kidney stones while on the diet. He is no longer with me and I miss him dreadfully. Still have to get the ground in long fur off my sewing chairs, etc.
the subject of sewing rooms can get complicatred!!