View Single Post
Old 06-16-2012, 05:48 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Angry

Originally Posted by mikec View Post
Well, I think I finally found the problem. Top tension. After disassembling and reassembling the shuttle, checking that every joint is oiled, I decided it had to be a setting. So, I basically tried every combination of bobbin tension, and upper tension. I found that the higher the top tension, the less the underside bunching. My only problem now is that I have the top tension at max (10), and I am getting 97% good stitches. I imaging an 11 or 12 would get me 100%

Only problem is that there is no 11 or 12... So I am thinking that my top tension adjuster is bad, worn out spring perhaps? I'm going to see if I can replace the assembly before I start sewing my $1000 boat canvas. I finally see light at the end of the tunnel!

Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions.

One more request: A recommendation for a good place to buy a tension assembly online? :-)

Edit: Never mind. I found one on singeronline for a whopping $6.00!
Here is a link for rebuilding your tension. Some times if the spring is dead or just out of it's setting it will not adjust. This manual is the best I know of. I have walked through with this one and gotten several fixed very quickly. A new tension may or may not fix the 'real' problem. If you do rebuild, go slowly and carefully follow the directions. Keep track of the parts Here is a link to the tension repair manual: http://www.tfsr.org/pub/technical_in...echanism_2.pdf ALSO www.sew-classic.com has the spring for less than $1 - Jenny has other parts as well - great service, too.

Last edited by miriam; 06-16-2012 at 05:52 AM.