Old 06-16-2012, 06:06 AM
OHSue

Default Electric scoooter

Originally Posted by icon17 View Post
If your Handycapted Its true about Medicre coveing for the Electric Chairs and I'm not just talk'in for a temp one a permament one! and if you don't need it til Augs If you START now You should get one! Just call or go to your DR or to a Medical suply store and ask about it!! Or you see the adds on tv for the Hoveround try that!
Scooters and Electric Wheelchairs are only available to you through Medicare if you need them to get around your home. A scooter is not a viable option for getting around your home as it is not good for getting close to counters and tables and probably won't fit in a lot of bathrooms. Lots of companies will push to sell the scooter as they have a better profit margin and some folks don't like the idea of using a wheelchair. It takes a medical clearance (certificate of medical need) filled out by your doctor, an office visit must be made within 90 days prior to the form submitted and you will have to wait for the pre-certification before it will be paid for. And only certain medical conditions will qualify you for getting one of these. A lot of companies will give you the chair/scooter before this because once you take it home you pay for it one way or another. I work in a doctors office and this paperwork is part of my job.