View Single Post
Old 06-17-2012, 03:40 PM
cwessel47

Last year I designed a truly original table runner. I posted it here. People were interested and wanted the pattern. I wrote it up, did lots of drawings, took pictures of the steps, spent days on it. After receiving those requests, I mentioned that I did have the pattern for sale if others were interested in it. (Having already sold a number of copies.) I was stunned to my toes when someone responded and told me that the main element of it was a Mexican star block ( who knew? I had never seen it before, was quite tickled actually to come up with something "new", just my graph paper and I). It was not original and, basically, I should be ashamed of myself for passing it off as a new pattern when it wasn't. You know what? For a couple of days I did have my tail between my legs on this. But I knew!!! it was my design. And I will stand by it as my own forever. I liked writing the pattern and have done more since then. I use traditional blocks in my own way and have been fortunate to make some "egg" money selling them to board members who admire them. If you look at any quilt magazine you can find many examples using the same tried and true block patterns. Different sizes, different fabrics, different settings and borders. And they sell them day after day after day.

God created the original humans and we have continued to work on our versions for centuries. Are we all unique? I'll bet my bottom dollar we are. My quilts (and patterns!) are unique and original as well. Yours are too! I appreciate the opportunity to sell copies of my patterns to those who are interested. Retirement is approaching and life has not been generous so far. A few sales now and then for my imagination and hard work seems fair to me.