View Single Post
Old 06-18-2012, 03:07 AM
Edie

My first pieced quilt is my favorite - it was the easiest, but still the hardest. The title of the block was "Antique Tiles" from Quilter's Cache. Each block told a story of my life and the important people in my life. Each color or fabric design meant something. And then, I wrote a book on what each block meant and what each square in the block meant. For example, my state of Minnesota. I used fabric that was designed for Minnesota, the loon, the Ladyslipper, the pines, the Walleye, the deer and then for my Minnesota chapter in the book, I had the official Blueberry Muffin recipe, how Minnesota got its name, where I lived and things like that. So when I have passed this mortal coil, someone, somewhere will lay my quilt on the floor and with my book will learn absolutely everything about 9-11, Fourths of July, Echo Trail, Amana Calico, Waterloo, Wisconsin, 1936, 1938 (the years my husband and I were born). All of these blocks (35 of them) were designed around my family, my experiences, my grandkids, their hobbies, etc., it's all there. The book ended up to be around 135 pages, with pictures, what the weather was like when I was sewing the quilt, what the headlines of the day were, how the Twins were doing, what the Vikings were doing. When I die, in lieu of flowers, this quilt will be on my casket and then given to my granddaughter. I laughed, I cried, I so bonded with this quilt. Oh, yah, there are mistakes, but they are my mistakes. I don't think anyone could notice them but me, but it is my treasure, my quilt, my life, my favorite. My Memory Quilt. Edie