View Single Post
Old 09-20-2009, 03:40 PM
mpspeedy

I suggest two kitchen type islands for both a cutting area and an ironing area. They are a good height for both cutting and ironing and usually have a built in electrial box for plugging in appliances as well as storage underneath. If they are on wheels that can be locked they are doubly great. Then you can move them if necessary. While a deep surface is great for cutting becareful not to make the ironing surface so deep that you constantly reach to far. Our backs are the first thing to go. If you don't already have a sewing cabinet make one using two or three kitchen cabinet units acting as bases and as well as providing storage. The top can be a door or a laminated surface. You can drill holes in it to thread your machine cords through helping with that nest of cords problem. I would also recommend a hard surface floor. It is nice to have some kind of soft mat to stand on in front of the cutting and ironing surface. Carpeting while pretty is a royal pain to keep tidy.
I wish I had a single room large enough for all of my stuff. Congratulatons. Enjoy!