Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
planning a sewing room >

planning a sewing room

planning a sewing room

Old 09-24-2009, 11:56 PM

Well, I'm probably in the minority here, but I'll keep my carpet. Sweeping floors here is like painting the Sydney Harbour Bridge - by the time you finish, it's time to start again.

For 4 months last year they decided to develop the roads of the new housing estate next door. This year they have started building, So far I have 2 houses being built next to my fence line, and another across the road.

What with red volcanic soil being blown every which way which means you can't open doors or windows, and dust storms like we had Wednesday in SE Qld, carpet is easier to keep clean.

I'm keeping my carpet!

Old 09-25-2009, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by kanoelani
I just redid a sewing/office/scrapbooking room in our new house. I second the idea of lots of plugs, a laminate or wood floor and a design wall.

Because I sometimes like to change layouts and move things around I used Elfa shelving. LOVE it!!!!

We put in track lighting and it is working fine (used the Home Depot brand).

My other idea (after seeing Julie and Julia) was using pegboard for all of my scrapbooking tools. I painted it the same color as the wall to blend it into the room. My next project is going to be another pegboard for my quilting

supplies (rulers, cutters...etc.)

I'd love to see some pictures, and also get some ideas on how you organize your stamps. I also stamp and it's so much harder for me to organize all my stamps than my sewing things. Thanks!

Hope this helps, Kanoelani
Old 09-25-2009, 05:44 AM

Congratulatons on getting your own space. I have a sewing room about the same size. My cutting table is free standing on wheels at a height that saves bending, which is great for your back and opening up a larger floor space. Another must is alot of lighting so you don't get shadows. Plenty of storage. I have a seperate storage area not to mention lots and lots of cupboards,hooks,boxes and shelves. DH used recycled building products eg,cutting table top was an old desk. It is fun collecting.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

You can use graph paper and/or design software and "move" stuff around - of course, it hardly ever "works" the way one thinks it will - but it's a lot easier than shoving things around.

Is it easier to have duplicates of some things - or maybe a cart to drag them from area to area? Scissors, some rulers, pins, etc?
Old 09-25-2009, 06:14 AM

Shelves with doors so that your fabric doesn't fade if you have lots of light. Even artifical light can cause fading.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954
If I ever had it to do over, I would get only see-through plastic boxes for my fabric. I used to get blue ones, but I would have to open them every time to see what was inside.

For the floor I would avoid carpet. I have heard it is tough to vacuum the little threads.

Also, it would be nice to have a huge planning wall.

Let us see it when it is all done.
Anne, Life is too short!! Go get your clear boxes and enjoy!! Then donate all your blue ones to a daycare that always needs such things!!:)SKeat