Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
planning a sewing room >

planning a sewing room

planning a sewing room

Old 09-24-2009, 08:16 AM

We are empty nesters and I took the big bedroom in the basement (10 x 15)for a sewing room. Now I find it isn't really big enough but thats because of a long arm. Anyway I have a walk in closet with three rows of shelves for fabric because anything 2yds and above is on shelves, color co=ordinated, wrapped on fabric boards. One wall if for embrodier machines and cutting surface. The cornor sewing table holds the regular sewing machine and serger and I made a cover for the treadle so I can use it for pressing. It works very well and is easy to maintain. It has carpet but if I were to redo the floors it would be wood or tile for easier maintence.I have slelves on two walls for cd's etc, and other sewing necessities and across from the machines nice bright prints to look up at. The color is blue and salmon. My spouse put in bright full sprectum lights for me. I spend hours in that room. Pick colors you like and make it sunsiney to keep you happy even when you are sewing at night. :wink:
Old 09-24-2009, 09:02 AM
Power Poster

A place for trash container(s)

Easy to access areas for the current works in progress

How come so many homes don't seem to include specific areas for cleaning supplies? (I know you mentioned that you have a central vacuum cleaner - lucky you!)

Old 09-24-2009, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by red hen
We are empty nesters and I took the big bedroom in the basement (10 x 15)for a sewing room. Now I find it isn't really big enough but thats because of a long arm. Anyway I have a walk in closet with three rows of shelves for fabric because anything 2yds and above is on shelves, color co=ordinated, wrapped on fabric boards. One wall if for embrodier machines and cutting surface. The cornor sewing table holds the regular sewing machine and serger and I made a cover for the treadle so I can use it for pressing. It works very well and is easy to maintain. It has carpet but if I were to redo the floors it would be wood or tile for easier maintence.I have slelves on two walls for cd's etc, and other sewing necessities and across from the machines nice bright prints to look up at. The color is blue and salmon. My spouse put in bright full sprectum lights for me. I spend hours in that room. Pick colors you like and make it sunsiney to keep you happy even when you are sewing at night. :wink:
Have you posted pictures of your room? Sounds great and I'd like to see it.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:28 AM

[quote=hokieappmom][quote=red hen]We are empty nesters and I took the big bedroom in the basement (10 x 15)for a sewing room.

Have you posted pictures of your room? Sounds great and I'd like to see it.[/quote

Me too!:0)
Old 09-24-2009, 11:38 AM

If you're going to spend a lot of time standing at the cutting table, I would also add a gel mat, the kind professional chefs have in their kitchens. I bought one and have it by my sink, where I spend A LOT of time! It's great to have it for tired feet. You can get them online or at Bath, Bath & Beyond.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:05 PM

I'm so happy for you! I would definitely go with wood or laminate flooring. When you're standing for long periods, tile can be unforgiveable on the feet and legs. We built our home 4 years ago and I will regret the ceramic tile until the day it gets replaced. It looks nice, but when we're entertaining and I'm standing on it for hours...OUCH!
Old 09-24-2009, 02:42 PM

If you want more ideas join [email protected]. You have to join but their photo section has tons of pictures with ideas. My sewing room is in my old "living room"now because we use our den all the time and the other room was becoming just a big hallway. Good luck in your design. My pictures of filing cabinets are in there under Sharon Hatfield
Sharon in Oklahoma
Old 09-24-2009, 04:39 PM

Outlets in the center of the room or anywhere in the floor is good, had some done in a cabin in the mountains, makes a lot of difference. IMHO

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Electrical outlets - lots of electrical outlets

Wonder how one can put them in the center of a room?

Enjoy enjoy enjoy - and I'll work on getting ungreen.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:01 PM

I just redid a sewing/office/scrapbooking room in our new house. I second the idea of lots of plugs, a laminate or wood floor and a design wall.

Because I sometimes like to change layouts and move things around I used Elfa shelving. LOVE it!!!!

We put in track lighting and it is working fine (used the Home Depot brand).

My other idea (after seeing Julie and Julia) was using pegboard for all of my scrapbooking tools. I painted it the same color as the wall to blend it into the room. My next project is going to be another pegboard for my quilting supplies (rulers, cutters...etc.)

Hope this helps, Kanoelani
Old 09-24-2009, 06:50 PM

I agree with having an island for cutting if possible. It is so nice to be able to cut from either side--you don't have to turn the fabric after squaring off the end. We have a table with 3 sides out in the room. This works great for us( sis and me) because we can both cut at one time and sometimes we have a friend over. There is room for all three of us to cut/trim providing we are not all working with big pieces. No waiting!