Old 06-19-2012, 11:13 AM
NJ Quilter

Originally Posted by azwendyg View Post
I have a Maytag Bravio Top Load high efficiency washer and HATE it! I've had it for a couple of years now and am looking to replace it with a standard "old-style" topload.

There are several things I do not like about it:

It does not allow you to soak a load. If you pause the washer when there is water in it, it will automatically drain. Does the same thing if you shut it off when there is water in it.

You cannot fill the washer first so that you can add detergent/bleach etc. directly to the water and then add the clothes. The bleach dispenser functionality is less than perfect, resulting in bleach spots on some items. If I want to soak a load in bleach before agitating, I fill a bucket, add bleach, add laundry, let soak, then pour the whole thing in the washer and start it. Then the washer proceeds to drain the bleach water off the laundry before starting its wash cycle... ARGH!

It ties my clothes in knots, literally. When I take out a load of jeans or shirts, I have to spend 5 minutes untangling the legs/sleeves and untwisting them before I can dry them.

You cannot control the water level or the agitation time. This often results in clothes that are less than clean when the cycle is finished.

And don't even dream about putting anything delicate in it if you want to see it in one piece again!

So... Until I replace it, I'm washing my blouses and delicates by hand in the kitchen sink and using the "drain and spin" cycle in the washer before I dry them.

The fabric softener dispenser "spots" the clothes without fail.

This is not exactly a leap forward in my laundry routine!
When I bought my Maytag my primary concern was infinte settings for water loads; temps; types of cycles, etc. And the largest capacity I could possibly get. Got as much selection as was available on any machine at the time. I don't use the bleach dispenser any longer and I do, at times, have issues with the softener dispenser spotting clothes as well. I think a big part of the issues that I have with the machine have more to do with the water we have being very 'hard'. Can't tell you how many kitchen faucets we've replaced over the years due to mineral build up and some of the staining we have on countertops/faucets.