Old 06-20-2012, 06:01 AM
AFQSinc

Originally Posted by Steady Stiching View Post
My first washing machine I owned lasted me 18 years...now people are replacing front loaders that really have not been on the market more than a handful of years.....but they are making more money....good for them..AKK
I will say this about the front loaders. Part of the problem is that manufactuers are not making the machines to the same specs as a commercial machine. My father owned coin-op laundries and he talked about this constantly. Also, they have been using front loading washing machines in Europe and other parts of the world for many, many years. I think part of it is the first generation of front loaders they really had not figured out how to scale the mechanics down properly so they took short cuts. My first FL had a tub assembly that was in two pieces joined together. Well, of course, after a certain time, not that long, it began to leak. To replace that part would have been about $2k. The manufacturer would not cover an obvious design flaw. The second one I made sure that assembly was a solid piece. I don't think they make anything for longevity now, which is a shame.