Thread: I Am An Addict
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2012, 03:59 PM
Sewnoma

Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
My quilting teacher told me that the reason people put a "God's Eye" in their quilts was because only God could make something perfect & it was an insult to try to make something perfect. I don't have to "try" to make a mistake in mine... they happen spontaneously... LOL!
One of my grandmothers used to always include something deliberately wrong in almost every quilt. I have a pinwheel quilt that I love, and one of the pinwheels are backwards. I love that backwards pinwheel! My sister has its mate, and in that one, two pinwheels have single spokes in the "wrong" fabric. When my grandma died, I did a painting featuring things from her life for her memorial, and in the background in one spot there's a pinwheel quilt hanging on a clothesline, with one backwards pinwheel. My aunt zeroed right in on that and we all talked about how we loved those "mistakes" in our quilts!

And if I look real close...not all her points perfectly match up either and I had always just assumed they were perfect. I honestly never ever noticed they weren't until I started quilting on my own and did a detailed examination of several quilts made by both of my grandmas. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and my eyes don't seem to behold mistakes in other's work nearly as well as they behold the mistakes in my own!