View Single Post
Old 07-02-2012, 09:20 PM
BKrenning

Start with something simple. Log cabin or courthouse steps would be my suggestion.

Precut your strips or use scraps that you have sorted into dark & light piles.

Do one block at a time until you get a rhythm going. Then you can chain piece them and will be flying along.

I always glue my first piece on so it doesn't slip around and I glue weird angle pieces until I'm sure they will cover the area.

Once you get it figured out in your head--then you can move on to Pineapple, Square in a Square or Flying Geese type blocks. I've been paper-piecing for 8-9 years now but sitting down to do that first block always requires some mental switch to flip back on for me so I pull out a log cabin I've been working on for years to "warm up."

Unlike others, I don't mind removing all the paper. I use a shorter stitch length and I crease all my sewing lines before I start so it's not hard to remove. I prefer to use cheap, thin paper but copy paper works also just a little harder to remove.

Simple paper piecing patterns don't involve all the math, turning under edges or that elusive scant 1/4" seam so it's kind of a mindless, just want to sew but don't know what exercise for me. Those complicated patterns with itty-bitty pieces are a different story, though.