Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: best way to learn paper piecing

best way to learn paper piecing

I'm interested in learning but don't know where to start. Any suggestions, including specific online sources, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    OOOh I love to paperpiece. the best thing to remember is the back of the fabric goes on the back of the paper. just start small with a square and four corners. then go from there. there are you tube things to show you how. you can take a piece of paper draw some lines and sew scrap material on it and piece them together. that will give you a good idea on how is works and some practice.
    good luck
    SMILE- it will make everyone wonder what you are up to.
    Stay strong and keep looking up.

Have you looked at the videos on Youtube or tried the paper piecing class on Craftsy.com?

I absolutely love paper piecing and started by researching online tutorials and you tube videos, then practice w/scraps.

A little over a year ago, I would have said no way to PPing! Then I "wanted" to do it and started.

I started with the simple tutorial on QuiltersCache.Com. Then moved on from there to doing some simple projects. Along the way, I read/watched/surfed all that I could find ... mostly from threads here on the QB.

You'll find everyone there a lot of different techniques and everyone has their own style. What worked for me was just starting ... and then as I went, I picked up a bit here and there ... and have continued to do so.

Rome wasn't built in a day. Initially I still hated it and gradually as I did more, I got my style and routine flowing and then I was right into it ........ and loving it!

Good Luck!!!!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blog Entries
    try Carol Doak's site and take the free Introduction to Paper Piecing - great instructions
    http://www.caroldoak.com/free-quilt-patterns.php
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    try Carol Doak's site and take the free Introduction to Paper Piecing - great instructions
    I agree .. if it was not for Carol Doaks instructions , I never would have gotten into paper piecing.. I just love it now. At first I could not wrap my brain around it. But decided take it step by step following her instructions , and wow .. I got it ! It goes slow , almost painfully , when you start , but once you "get it" it really gets faster !
    Note: start with a unit/block that only has a few pieces( maybe 4 or 5) till you "get" the process , then move onto more complex units/blocks.... and cut your fabric larger than recommended when learning.

Thanks, but I'm confused... when I click on the link and then select Introduction To Paper Piecing

there are no verbal instructions... just a picture of the paper diagram and some measurements...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ssgirly View Post
    Thanks, but I'm confused... when I click on the link and then select Introduction To Paper Piecing

there are no verbal instructions... just a picture of the paper diagram and some measurements...
    Here you go: http://www.caroldoak.com/weblog/?p=928
    Step by step how to.

Blog Entries
    Try this! Never have to rip off paper and can use a template many times!

http://www.twiddletails.com/store/in...age=page&id=21
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

I joined the Quilter's Club of America paper piecing club when they started up in January and they're making either a Mariner's Compass quilt or a Harry Potter. They give two different wordings for how to do it and after a couple of questions and a Utube demonstration and I was off and running! Good luck! It's really fun!
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply,Speak Kindly, Leave the rest to GOD

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
    Try this! Never have to rip off paper and can use a template many times!

http://www.twiddletails.com/store/in...age=page&id=21
    Kitsie,
    Thanks for this link, I might be willing to get back into pping with this technique. Does anyone remember (oh what is the name....the people who made the Little Foot and the Big Foot feet???) the papers made with the seam allowance marked on them from years ago? I always get confused now after fighting with those. Haven't done/enjoyed pping in years.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

I could never figure out instructions from books or tutorials, but when I had a friend sit down with me and I had the fabric and paper in my hand it just clicked. Different people learn in different ways - find the way that suits you best.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

google free paper piecing patterns. Lots of fun ones to try on line. Good luck!
    Linda

Blog Entries
    Carol Doak's website, forum & group activities! will get you well on your way to wonderful paper piecing success
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    I have a kit for flowers. Just haven't figured out how to do it. I'm going to look at the sites everyone has recommended.
    Quilting in the Desert

honestly I learned through youtube, she explains it very clear, was not hard for me to figure out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdYS1...C84199EBCB8D9E
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmC62...C84199EBCB8D9E

Start with something simple. Log cabin or courthouse steps would be my suggestion.

Precut your strips or use scraps that you have sorted into dark & light piles.

Do one block at a time until you get a rhythm going. Then you can chain piece them and will be flying along.

I always glue my first piece on so it doesn't slip around and I glue weird angle pieces until I'm sure they will cover the area.

Once you get it figured out in your head--then you can move on to Pineapple, Square in a Square or Flying Geese type blocks. I've been paper-piecing for 8-9 years now but sitting down to do that first block always requires some mental switch to flip back on for me so I pull out a log cabin I've been working on for years to "warm up."

Unlike others, I don't mind removing all the paper. I use a shorter stitch length and I crease all my sewing lines before I start so it's not hard to remove. I prefer to use cheap, thin paper but copy paper works also just a little harder to remove.

Simple paper piecing patterns don't involve all the math, turning under edges or that elusive scant 1/4" seam so it's kind of a mindless, just want to sew but don't know what exercise for me. Those complicated patterns with itty-bitty pieces are a different story, though.
    Beverly

Blog Entries
    The one tool I would recommend is the add 1/4" inch ruler - usually is yellow has a lip that butts up against the edge to be trimmed

http://www.amazon.com/CM-Designs-CM6.../dp/B0002TTLLS
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

just a hint: I trace my pattern onto lightweight non-fusible interfacing. That way I don't have any paper to rip off!
    Lynn

The Craftsy class is really good and lots of help on You Tube.
    ranbro

Ditto!

I literally just started because of the intricate and lovely designs. Found Carol Doak's site and yahoo group- which BTW is currently doing a BOM (FREE) and learning and liking! I went to other sites and books however I found her method the easiest and best results for me. I highly recommend her!

From the heart
    Nancy

Hadn't got brave enough to try that yet!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I have tried diffrernt methods, and still love Carol Doaks way best.
    Fabaddict

One more suggestion,from the Library I check out Carol Doak's book, 40 Fabulous Stars, and it also had an instructional CD included with it. Carol takes you step by step through PPing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast