View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012, 07:02 PM
Laura in Montreal

I love finding the pattern (from quilting or non-quilting sources), but hate choosing the fabric (never sure it'll work or not, potentially ruining the whole project). Cutting out the pieces is tedious, but satisfying in the end when I see that wonderful pile of pieces to be sewn together. Piecing (by hand) is so very calming... stitch, stitch, stitch, stitch, backstitch, stitch, stitch... Ironing is frustrating -- interrupts the stitching. Building by putting blocks together is wonderful -- seeing how it grows! And when the top is all together, sandwiching is fine. A relief from all that stitch, stitching. Basting is fine, too because the end is near. Then, the hand quilting begins. How am I going to make this into something fantastic, something expressive, something glorious? It's a new challenge. By the time I get to the binding, I absolutely hate everything I've done, though, because I've put so much into it, with such high hopes, that nothing I could do would satisfy me. Two months later, though, I'm as proud as punch at the result. I did a good thing. It's an emotional roller coaster, I swear. The person who receives the quilt loves me even more for what I've gone through to get that gem to him or her. Whew! In short, I love it all.