Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Piecing? Quilting? or both? >

Piecing? Quilting? or both?

Piecing? Quilting? or both?

Old 07-08-2012, 02:13 AM

I love the LA quilting so much more than the piecing. I do make myself piece 2 quilts a year but it makes me cranky!
Old 07-08-2012, 04:11 AM

I like the quilting because I love chosing different fabrics and desiding what colors go with what. Some times this process takes me longer than making the block does. I have done a few civil war BOM but after the first few months I rarely used the fabrics they gave me. I started going out and getting more; most FQ. I have quite a collection and with what I get from the BOM I have alot to chose from. As a matter of fact my last BOM for the whole yr I used at least 99% of the quilt came from scraps from other BOM.

I'm just getting into the quilting part. I have done the basics, tieing, SITD and cross hatch so I took a class for FMQ in NC and really liked it and was told I was good at it. I can't afford to send my quilts out so I needed to learn to do this and I felt so good after this class because it is something that I now know I can do. I was afraid I wouldn't be any good at it after reading how many people struggled with it and hated it. So I'm hoping I like it as well as the piecing. Now my next biggest hurdle is trying to decide what design to put on each quilt. One more thing to learn. Oh my.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:41 AM

I really like designing a quilt (thanks heavens for EQ7!) and I especially love shopping for fabric. I haven't made many quilts, but with each new one I learn something new and my piecing improves. As for the basting and quilting part, I don't mind it and I think I'll like it better as I get better at it. I'm still trying to figure out how to machine a larger quilt on my home machine - all of that bulk! I'm one of those people who likes to do the whole thing.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:02 AM

I enjoy the the whole process. It just amazes me ( I am amazed easily) how the look changes as you go. from the simple thing like the stitch you use to the binding that you pick.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:06 AM

I enjoy most all of the process. The part that bugs me is putting the blocks together. Usually my quilts are scrappy and when the blocks are all done, I have to audition them, pin them this way and that, etc. Decisions aren't my strong points. Sooo, therefore, I have several boxes or totes, etc. with blocks and the accompanying border fabric, etc. that have become UFOs and I get stuck at this point. Wish I could pass this along to a seamstress who would just sew them together for me. Love quilting up to this point and enjoy the quilting and binding because I can see the end product and often that is a surprise to me because I don't have the gift of being able to see the finished quilt until it is actually finished. My daughter is an artist and has that inate "vision" and the ability to "see" a finished painting in her mind. I never know exactly what mine will be until I actually sew it all together. Sometimes I'm thrilled and sometimes I am disappointed. Wish I had her gift!
Old 07-08-2012, 05:10 AM

For example, I just finished binding a pinwheel top with a stripe from a man's shirt. I auditioned several fabrics that I had and settle on this one. Wish I had used something else. It's okay but not totally what I envisioned. Shoulda, woulda, coulda'. HA Had to put it down and go back to something else. That's a part of it , I guess. I learn so much from my booboos. Have cut some backing too close and had to go back and add extra fabric. Life is all about lessons.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:40 AM

What a great idea. Thank you
Old 07-09-2012, 08:42 AM

This is what I was responding to with "What a great Idea".
Originally Posted by simpsonfs View Post
My guild has a community service group that makes quilts for a local boys home. To make money for projects, they do basting for other quilters. They chose this part of the process for money making because they meet where they have big tables to lay the sandwich out so they don't have to get on the floor. Check around the quilters in your area--at churches, etc. you might find somebody to do that for you.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:45 AM

I love everything but the actual quilting. Mainly because I can't FMQ very well and moving the quilt around is very tiring for me. When I FMQ, I try to blend my thread to the color of the fabric I am quilting and with my bad eye sight, I break the rules of not going over previous stitching all the time. So what is supposed to be flowing lines, ends up like a train tracks. However, my most liked job is sewing on the binding, as it says I am almost done with the quilt.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:46 AM

I love piecing quilt tops. I currently have 6 lap size quilts waiting to be quilted. I also have a king size log cabin ready for borders. I recently took a course to learn to quilt on my domestic machine. I'm getting better, but I still have a long way to go. lol I am determined to quilt the smaller quilts myself, but the king size will go to the LAQ. I'm not that energetic! lol