Thread: new baby blanky
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 09:41 AM
KR

Congratulations! It probably was about this time of year that we learned of our expected baby to be born in April....39 years ago. My husband was an Air Force officer and we were stationed in ND, very far from family. I wanted a way to get family members involved, so thought of making an alphabet blankie for our anticipated little one. Bought pink and pale blue gingham fabric & cut into (I think) 6" squares....one for each letter of the alphabet, plus a couple extra to complete the finished rectangle. Then sent a square with assigned letter of the alphabet to each female family member, and some friends, too, asking each to embroider the letter any way they wanted to. As much as possible I asked them to do the letter that was one of their initials. It was really fun to get them all back and put them together. There were some very experienced needleworkers and some who didn't know one end of a needle from another, but all together it was a darling blankie. As I recall the only quilting I did on it was knotting where the squares joined together. On the extra squares I embroidered some numbers, I think. This little project ended up being the "show" blankie....not the one that suffered baby burps. Whatever you do, it will be wonderful and you'll have fun getting ready for your little angel! Congratulations, again!