Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: new baby blanky

ok, first off, I havent even registered til today to comment on posts, but have been looking at this site for a good 3 years??? i think. I figured i would never leave this site commenting because of commenting and oogling...i already spend a ton of time oogling, lol well anyway, i must say you all do beautiful work and even though i have made lots of projects, i still dont measure up...maybe just not quite the quilter, but i love doing it anyway. or maybe i am just too critical.

anyway, back to my subject. I found out I am going to have a baby in April, and well, i dont even know the sex of my little construction project yet...but i HAVE TO make a blanky for it, as i have done with many other friends' babies. here's my problem. this is MY baby, so how do i decide which pattern to use...colors aren't an issue since there are so many colors i dont need to go flowery or sporty, it can be a nice "neutral". and i know babies dont care as long as they are comfy and warm...but i do. So how in the world do i choose the right pattern?????

Congragulations! What an exciting time. Pick a pattern you love but that is not above your skill level so you'll enjoy working on. Something that makes you happy and that you'll enjoy having around for a long time to come. What kinds of quilts do you like to look at the most? Sampler quilts? Stars? Interlocking patterns? Blocks with sashing separating each one? Applique? Plan to use good quality fabrics as a baby quilt that is actually used to wrap the baby will be washed many, many times (for some reason babies have a lot of little "urps" and accidents!) Or maybe you'll prefer to make a wall hanging that will set the theme of the nursery and will be more of a keepsake. You could plan matching crib ruffle and curtains. Whatever you decide will be right, and made with a lot of love. And remember, you can always make more than one! Best wishes!

Welcome from NE CA. Glad you decided to speak up and introduce yourself. I think Teacup is right about the pattern and fabrics, even the wallhanging is a great idea. Congratulations!!!

Congrats & Welcome to the board. Like teacup said pick something you love and you can't go wrong.

Maybe when you find out what your baby's gender is, you'll narrow it down a little? Or if your chomping at the bit, you could make two, or make a pastel, which can be for a boy or a girl.
    There are books with just baby quilts, and if you go to hardware/lumber stores, such as Home Depot or Lowe's, they have books to decorate baby nurseries, and you could look through one of those, for color ideas.
    What about your hubby? Would he like to help pick the colors :wink:

Congratulations!!!!

Hugs and Kisses always makes a cute blankly.

http://www.quiltpox.com/Patterns/Hugs/

I've made a lot of baby blankets and my favorite ones are the ones I used pinwheels made from half square triangles alternating with plain squares with a little animal applique. I get animal appliques off of EBay - little ducks, kittens, dogs, frogs, rabbits. I buttonhole stitch around the appliques after I iron them on - these could be for a boy or girl depending on the binding color. I will take a picture of the latest one I made and send it here. I use flannel for the back of the quilt to coordinate with the binding.

I'm attaching a picture of the baby blanket I make using pinwheels and iron on appliques
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just did a D9P for a baby. There are so many possibilities with this pattern. No limit to what you can do as far as colors and how you put the pieces together.

Super Member Baren*eh*ked_canadian's Avatar
    Hi there, and welcome :)

I'm expecting my first baby in April, too, lol! I've made plenty of baby blankets for other people, but I just can't think of anything I want to make for my own, lol! I know exactly how you feel!

Anyway, I don't have any advice, but I hope you get some good ideas from the other people here.

Blog Entries
    First off let me say Welcome and Congratulations on the new baby!!!! :D :D :D
    You could go to quilter's cache and just browse through all of the blocks until one yells out "pick me"
    Most young people pick a theme for their little ones...my daughters all did, so you may look at fabric within the theme and get an inspiration there too.
    You could try googling baby quilts, and take a look there at what others have done, you have seen many on the board, you can do a search here on baby quilts also to refresh your memory.

First off, welcome to the board and Congrats!

Just look around at patterns and what ever catches your fancy, make it.

Blog Entries
    A big welcome to you and your 'construction project' from Ireland. I can't add anything else to everyone's suggestions, but I am sure you will find 'the' pattern soon.

Blog Entries
    Well frist off Welcome and Congratulations on the new baby!!just look around and i'm sure you will find one that grabs you.

Flowerjudy: that is one pretty baby quilt i love the look it looks so neat

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mountain-moma
    Well frist off Welcome and Congratulations on the new baby!!just look around and i'm sure you will find one that grabs you.

Flowerjudy: that is one pretty baby quilt i love the look it looks so neat
    Hello and welcome from an Iowa girl to both sylslight and flowerjudy :lol: :lol: :lol:

Congratulations on the new baby. How about finding a generic feature fabric--Like a nursery rhyme Hey diddle diddle?

Love the baby quilt flowerjudy :lol:

if you applique by hand or machine, look at

http://www.fatcatpatterns.com

there's sure to be something to love.

Congrats and welcome to the site. There are so many wonderful patterns to use. I would make more than one!

Welcome and Congratulations!! I'm a person who has a hard time deciding on things so I know how you feel. My suggestion is to just choose a simple pattern, cute novelty baby fabric and a contrasting one, then make one. You'll be making more as the baby grows. Lots of luck.

Blog Entries
    Hi and Welcome from Northern Indiana !

CONGRATS on the baby :lol: Who says you have to limit yourself to just one ? LOL You have time make several ! The most important thing is to relax and enjoy yourself .
    Sharon

Blog Entries
    Welcome from the California desert. Congratulations :D :D

How about something simple like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

KR
    Congratulations! It probably was about this time of year that we learned of our expected baby to be born in April....39 years ago. My husband was an Air Force officer and we were stationed in ND, very far from family. I wanted a way to get family members involved, so thought of making an alphabet blankie for our anticipated little one. Bought pink and pale blue gingham fabric & cut into (I think) 6" squares....one for each letter of the alphabet, plus a couple extra to complete the finished rectangle. Then sent a square with assigned letter of the alphabet to each female family member, and some friends, too, asking each to embroider the letter any way they wanted to. As much as possible I asked them to do the letter that was one of their initials. It was really fun to get them all back and put them together. There were some very experienced needleworkers and some who didn't know one end of a needle from another, but all together it was a darling blankie. As I recall the only quilting I did on it was knotting where the squares joined together. On the extra squares I embroidered some numbers, I think. This little project ended up being the "show" blankie....not the one that suffered baby burps. Whatever you do, it will be wonderful and you'll have fun getting ready for your little angel! Congratulations, again!

Primary colors are loved by infants and small children. You should make it large enough that he/she will be able to drag it around and cover up with it when they are 6.

Linda

Check out Nanabird's baby quilt. Scrappy goes with any sex.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/25740.page

Congratulations on your little "package". As an old maternity nurse I still remember the goose bumps at the sight of every birth. It's a wonderful thing to be able to assist a couple at this very intimate and momentous event. But I wax sentimental...
    I once attended a developmental class and they told us that newborns vision is clear very close...like the distance between baby and mom faces when breastfeeding. Not so clear beyond that. And they attend to high contrast. In newborn intesive care units you will often see the nurses put black and white patterned visual stimuli in the isolettes. They said red/white/black is a great combo for baby to look at. Actually, pastel quilts are probably more parent-approved than baby-approved. I have made several red/white/black baby quilts and they have been well-received. I think black and white with any one strong bright color (lime green, royal blue, lemon yellow) would be visually stimulating for baby.
    Good luck!
    Penny

Congratulation on the new baby -to be. A rag quilt makes a great utility quilt, then make a wall hanging or else a "look at quilt"" for the nursery..Sure what you decide will be great. mary

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast