Thread: new baby blanky
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 06:32 PM
nursie76

Congratulations on your new little blessing under construction. Dixiechunk is right. As a nurse who works with expectant moms and their babes at in home visits until age 2, I too teach my moms that babies see clearly from birth approximately at 8-12 inches...and love high contrast black and white geometric shapes and faces. They also are drawn to bright primary colors (and we as parents subject them to pastels. lol). What about an I spy quilt with a selection of childrens novelty prints. Dogs, cats, cherrys, butterflys, etc. These become a wonderful place for the little one to do tummy time which is important to the development of their neck and back muscles (now that it is "back to sleep"). Then as they get older and start to develop language, you can use it as a game, pointing to and naming the different animals, etc. The novelty fabrics are fussy cut and then put into a block such as a snowball block. One of my clients was given a quilt such as this by a college craft group when her little one came, he is only 3 months old, but mommy has used it for his tummy time since he was 2 weeks old and she says he just loves the bright colors and trying to imitate the sounds she makes when talking about the blocks.

Sorry so wordy...I will get off my soapbox lol. I am just so passionate about maternal and infant subjects.