View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012, 07:43 PM
DawnFurlong

I have to say that this post really motivated me! I have been building a stash for the express purpose of doing some scrappy quilts. Yet I worry about colors not matching, what pattern, etc. I spent some time today on the Quiltville site. Also, the suggestions to use 2 inch squares as leaders/enders - never thought of that! Seems much less overwhelming to piece blocks here and there in the middle of other projects.

I have storage bins on my grocery list, so that I can start saving those scraps (divided by size). Also, in working on another project tonight, which involved sewing 3 inch squares on the corners of a 6 inch square - I saved all of the triangles I cut off (actually I retrieved them from the trash, sewed 2 of them together, and was very happy to see a slightly larger than 2 inch block of half square triangles!)

Previously, I felt guilt for not keeping various scraps of fabric, but I could see myself getting overwhelmed with scraps everywhere that I have no idea what to do with! But after reading again about Bonnie Hunter's system for scraps (and I am sure there are many different systems out there) - I was inspired that this too I could do. Plus the point made that all of these scraps - that is $$$ being thrown away; instead, why not have a beautiful quilt?!

Still a bit worried that I can put something together where the colors are pleasing to the eye (I will probably be a bit more of a controlled scrappy quilter at first) - but already excited about a couple of patterns off of the Quiltville site, so will be looking to turn my scraps into 2-1/2 inch strips (if possible). This will also be a little easier on my budget.