Thread: newbie question
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2012, 09:12 PM
justflyingin

Originally Posted by Johanna Fritz View Post
I always have 3 or 4 projects going at once because when I am sick of one, I need to go to the other, and then come back...but I always finish.
I think that this is the trick for me. I've got several going on at once and as long as I keep working on it, or at least thinking about it, then it is a WIP.

Technically, I guess I'm always creating new UFOs by some definitions, as well since I try to use my leftover blocks, etc. For example, I accidentally made an extra flip flop block when making this quilt. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...g-t193449.html
I'm not throwing it away, but want to include it in my "leftover blocks/scraps" quilt that I'm working on. So, as I've been collecting these leftover blocks, pieces of blocks, paper piecing learning squares, etc., I've "technically" been collecting a UFO, by some people's definition. However, to me, it doesn't involve guilt, but since I am trying to get a handle on my scraps (it's been a work for over a year now), I'm trying to also use my leftover blocks now by combining scraps into 8" squares, then putting 4 - 8" squares together to make 15.5" blocks--all different and scrappy/leftover.

So, since I'm usually putting together 2-4 tops at once, I'm constantly collecting extra leftover blocks--I never completely get away from UFOs or scraps. They are constantly being evolved.

I've finished almost all of the ones I've started. (I also don't call them a UFO if it is a quilt top waiting to be quilted as that is what I tend to do--do a bunch of quilt tops and then finish them all, but I suppose it technically is. In that case I think I have 60+, however I'm getting ready to finish up a bunch of tops into both charity and 'noncharity/personal" quilts.)