Old 07-10-2012, 05:26 PM
ghostrider

Originally Posted by QuiltingCrazie View Post
The biggest difference I've noticed between cotton and batiks are that batiks have no give. When piecing you have to be alert and there very little room for error lol I'm not perfect so I don't do star projects with batiks.
This is not true at all. Because they have a tighter weave (higher thread count), they may have very slightly less stretch than regular cottons, but it's certainly not missing by a long shot. I use batiks extensively, adapting my needle, tension, thread and stitch length for the tighter weave and thnner weight, but otherwise treat them just like any other cotton.

Batiks do not ravel, so there is more leeway in seam allowance width. They press sharply with no starch or other aids. If you unstitch, the needle holes are apt to remain visible, but they will close up with washing/spritzing. Since they are new to you, try a sample block before you go into full gear on your project. Work out the tension and stitch length issues, how it handles, etc, all on that one block instead of on many.