Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there anything I need to know when it comes to working with batiks? >

Is there anything I need to know when it comes to working with batiks?

Is there anything I need to know when it comes to working with batiks?

Old 07-12-2012, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by conniemaried View Post
OK, now I'm really worried. I'm a newbie, and just today did the first piecing on a lap quilt done in Bali Pops Watermelon. This is to be a special gift to my Granddaughter for her 8th birthday. I've sewn 93 strips of the Pops to 186 pieces of 1895 'gardenia', an extremely pale yellow. Should I stop now and wash, or what? I can't give her a quilt that might bleed. Help!! Please!!

I don't think I'd stop at this point but put in some synthrapol in the wash and several color catchers. If you notice that it bled don't dry it just continue to wash with synthrapol until the bled colors disappear. I did not pre wash some very dark batiks..purples etc and it never bled.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:03 PM
QM
Power Poster

I love batiks, especially for paper piecing, because of the tight weave. I have been told not to use them for needleturn applique, but have not had a problem with a new small needle. I have found that they tend to wear out machine needles faster than usual and that I really dislike struggling with batik binding or backing. I have also heard that there is "no right side". This is untrue. The differences are less pronounced, but definitely there. There are huge differences in batik qualities. I recently got some batik from India which was very low in quality and a much looser weave than ordinary quilters' cottons. I really love the depth of color I get with many batiks.

Batiks are also excellent for 'petting'.
Most batiks are made with very tightly woven fabric, as it works well for the batik process. Like Daiwabo, the tightness was there before the dye.

Last edited by QM; 07-12-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by LLWinston44 View Post
I didnt prewash, but I did the pretest just in case. I found that batiks, while petty, and fun to sew with... Theyre annoyingly stinky!! Anyone else notice that?? I get them from the LQS so they are quality...
Yes I do notice the "smell" and its not all batiks and some are worse than others. Prewashing does help, but I have had a few where one wash was not enough.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:30 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by conniemaried View Post
OK, now I'm really worried. I'm a newbie, and just today did the first piecing on a lap quilt done in Bali Pops Watermelon. This is to be a special gift to my Granddaughter for her 8th birthday. I've sewn 93 strips of the Pops to 186 pieces of 1895 'gardenia', an extremely pale yellow. Should I stop now and wash, or what? I can't give her a quilt that might bleed. Help!! Please!!
All I would do is be sure to wash the finished quilt in Synthrapol and hot water, in a washing machine that uses a lot of water (top loader at home or large front loader at laundromat). Synthrapol will suspend any unset dye particles in the water so they get rinsed away instead of creating bleeds into other fabrics. You should be fine.

If you want a little more reassurance, take scraps of all the fabrics and stick them in a glass of water; see if anything bleeds.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:39 PM

I use a Microtex 70/10 needle when I'm sewing batiks. Because batiks are made with cotton sheeting which has a higher thread count than regular quilt fabrics. It's very difficult to hand quilt batiks too.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:09 AM

I sew a lot with batiks and so do the gals in my friendship group. None of us prewash, but we do use a Color Catcher in the washer when we wash them the first time or two. So, I always wash them before I give them away to ensure a Color Catcher is used. I just made a quilt with lots of dark batiks and white batik for the sashing. No bleeding at all when washed with the Color Catcher. I don't know if it would have bled without the Color Catcher, but I sure don't want to take any chances after all the work that goes into a quilt. Don't worry. I always keep Color Catchers in the laundry room. They really do their job!!!
Old 07-14-2012, 05:30 AM

I did a log cabin pattern quilt from batiks and it turned out beautiful. There is a different feel to batiks but otherwise no real differences to work with it. I washed mine with a Color Catcher and had no problem with bleeding. Enjoy the process. I think you will love batiks.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:14 AM

I use a lot of Batiks - love them. I don't pre-wash, but I do wash with Retayne when the quilt is completed. I haven't had any problems.