Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there anything I need to know when it comes to working with batiks? >

Is there anything I need to know when it comes to working with batiks?

Is there anything I need to know when it comes to working with batiks?

Old 07-12-2012, 04:52 PM

Even though I've used batiks for a while, now, and have noticed some of the attributes pointed out here, I had never realized that they were due to the batiking process. I've learned quite a bit here, and will be sure to put in a new (smaller) needle the next time I start a quilt with batiks.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:06 PM

I use batiks alot. I have never prewashed them, but I do use a color catcher when I wash them the first time. Like others said, use a sharp microtex needle 70/10 - larger needles leave big holes. Also, try to use a different fabric for the back - it can be difficult to quilt with batik on top and bottom. Other than that, nothing different than normal 100% cotton fabric. I have made dozens of bags from batiks and numerous quilts. Love batiks!
Old 07-12-2012, 07:31 PM

I'm making one now and not having any problems sewing it. I sure am loving the way it's coming out!
Old 07-12-2012, 08:14 PM

I would hesitate to use dark or red Batiks without washing them first. Those are the ones I've had trouble with bleeding. If your completed project will get washed, I think you should prewash your fabric or at least soak it in the sink, to see if any bleeding happens. If it does you can treat it w/ Retayne. Using some Color Catchers later wouldn't hurt as well.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:34 PM

OK, now I'm really worried. I'm a newbie, and just today did the first piecing on a lap quilt done in Bali Pops Watermelon. This is to be a special gift to my Granddaughter for her 8th birthday. I've sewn 93 strips of the Pops to 186 pieces of 1895 'gardenia', an extremely pale yellow. Should I stop now and wash, or what? I can't give her a quilt that might bleed. Help!! Please!!
Old 07-12-2012, 08:35 PM

I learned a lot from this thread. Did not know about Color Catchers, or Retayne or Synthrapol. I do pre-wash and have found a few fabrics that bleed. One I had to wash 3 times to feel comfortable with it. Actually, it was a small piece of fabric for a pillow case, and I just soaked it in the sink. Because I hand quilt, I would probably commit hari-kari (not sure if I spelled that right) if a worked on a quilt for a year and then the fabrics bled and ruined it.
Thanks everybody for all the great information.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:55 PM

Batiks are wonderful to work with! I don't prewash, but I do wash the quilt once it is done - usually in cold water with vinegar in the final rinse to set the colours. Otherwise, colour catchers will also give you peace of mind.

My only real advice? Don't stress about them. Enjoy the way they feel and play together.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:14 PM

i agree with wash the fabric first maybe wash it 2 times , and use a smaller needle that you do for cotton
Old 07-12-2012, 09:32 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Thanks for all the comments...
Old 07-12-2012, 10:01 PM

I didnt prewash, but I did the pretest just in case. I found that batiks, while petty, and fun to sew with... Theyre annoyingly stinky!! Anyone else notice that?? I get them from the LQS so they are quality...