View Single Post
Old 07-11-2012, 08:18 AM
stefanib123

Default I making a barn quilt!!!!!

So, I finally decided to make a barn quilt! Even though our barn is now used as a garage, LOL! I'm so excited! I bought the wood and paint and other things I needed yesterday, but may have to buy more paint.

I'm having trouble deciding on the block. I would like something that "means" something to our family. I am also making it colorful, to incorporate all our favorite colors- red, black, purple, teal (actually more like that funky 1950's light blue), and green. So, it has to be a block that will allow a lot of color.

I'm looking at blocks that have something to do with Kentucky, which is where we live. My husband is a coal miner, I'm in college for photography. We came through a very hard time as a family a few years ago, horrible, horrible but it made us stronger. We like crosses and stars. We also would like a not "common" one. Almost every common block has been done in our neck of the woods!

My family is leaning toward one called cathedral window block. No reason other than they like it, LOL! It's not the one you're thinking of, it's a 10 patch that is in one of my old quilt books(You can sit on my quilt book is the name of it). I can not find it on the internet anywhere, all I find is the one that you all know. It looks nothing like that. I've drew it on graph paper many times and everyone is having a ball coloring them in trying to come up with a color scheme. If nothing else, we will have a great memory of making this thing!

Also, we are making a coordinating one for my inlaws who live right up the road. We are going to do a variation of our block, whatever we decide, so they will be "related", LOL.

Any suggestions? Also, they need to be "copyright-free" is what my extension office said. Most older blocks are. Or they can have a copyright, but I have to have written permission to display it. This isn't necessary if you aren't putting your quilt on the register.

I'd love to see pics, too, of any who have one.