Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I making a barn quilt!!!!! >

I making a barn quilt!!!!!

I making a barn quilt!!!!!

Old 07-11-2012, 08:18 AM

Default I making a barn quilt!!!!!

So, I finally decided to make a barn quilt! Even though our barn is now used as a garage, LOL! I'm so excited! I bought the wood and paint and other things I needed yesterday, but may have to buy more paint.

I'm having trouble deciding on the block. I would like something that "means" something to our family. I am also making it colorful, to incorporate all our favorite colors- red, black, purple, teal (actually more like that funky 1950's light blue), and green. So, it has to be a block that will allow a lot of color.

I'm looking at blocks that have something to do with Kentucky, which is where we live. My husband is a coal miner, I'm in college for photography. We came through a very hard time as a family a few years ago, horrible, horrible but it made us stronger. We like crosses and stars. We also would like a not "common" one. Almost every common block has been done in our neck of the woods!

My family is leaning toward one called cathedral window block. No reason other than they like it, LOL! It's not the one you're thinking of, it's a 10 patch that is in one of my old quilt books(You can sit on my quilt book is the name of it). I can not find it on the internet anywhere, all I find is the one that you all know. It looks nothing like that. I've drew it on graph paper many times and everyone is having a ball coloring them in trying to come up with a color scheme. If nothing else, we will have a great memory of making this thing!

Also, we are making a coordinating one for my inlaws who live right up the road. We are going to do a variation of our block, whatever we decide, so they will be "related", LOL.

Any suggestions? Also, they need to be "copyright-free" is what my extension office said. Most older blocks are. Or they can have a copyright, but I have to have written permission to display it. This isn't necessary if you aren't putting your quilt on the register.

I'd love to see pics, too, of any who have one.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

How exciting! I wish we had a house/barn that would accommodate a barn quilt! Is this the block you are thinking about (scroll down to see it) https://dotcom1144.wordpress.com/cat...osophy/page/3/# It's very attractive, would make a great barn quilt block. Here's another one - different colors - http://sentimentalstitches.net/2012/...-quilt-blocks/
Old 07-11-2012, 10:49 AM

Default my barn quilt

Here is one that I made. They are fun to do.
Attached Thumbnails pict1973.jpg  
Old 07-11-2012, 11:23 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I just hired a man to make me a barn quilt. I live in Oregon and investigated and found the Oregon Star and that's what he's making. I don't have a barn, but I have a barn size garage that it will go on the top of. Why not try for a Kentucky Star? I found "Dave's" barn quilts here: http://barnquiltsbydave.blogspot.com/. Check him out! He's such a nice man, I'm sure he'll give you any advice you need.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:33 AM

Mariners Compass popped into my mind, you know a compass to guide you through the troubled times that your family went through.
Sue
Old 07-11-2012, 01:07 PM

How about looking at barn quilt site pics? Or browsing Quilters Cache? Sounds like fun!
Old 07-11-2012, 05:50 PM

Dunster, that's it! But, I'm doing it very colorful instead, it works great either way!

Purple Passion, I love it! I want to put them on all all my outbuildings now, LOL!!!!

Jcrow, off to check our that site.

Thanks, Monroe and Susie, we have seriously been considering mariners compass, I love that block!
Old 07-13-2012, 03:22 PM

Exclamation barn quilts

I have made 6 barn quilts and love them all. Wish I had 6 barns!!!! Love painting them almost as
much as quilting
Old 07-14-2012, 10:21 AM

Here is a block for Kentucky:

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art2242.asp

Hope that helps.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:52 AM

I saw a barn quilt on a story on the national new tonight! I was so excited!