Old 07-12-2012, 04:10 PM
DogHouseMom

For me it's applique.

I did a chemo quilt with raw edge fusible applique - including one applique piece that is over 5' tall (yes, that's 5 FEET), and the other applique objects were all letters. Both were firsts for me.

At the moment I'm appliqueing bunnies on a baby quilt. I'm using a modified technique by MUV where you machine stitch the applique using a stencil (thin paper) directly to the quilt back - no fusible or stabilizer. Then I'm doing a hand blanket stitch around the edges and I'm leaving about 1/2" of raw edge and raveling it. I'm also doing needle turn applique on some of the highlights of the bunnies (different shading of fur, pink inner ear, eyes - etc). Again ... all firsts.

I'm really liking the needle turn and because I hate hand work I thought I would regret the decision. But I like it. I'm headed off to a trade show on Saturday and I plan on bringing it with me to do some of the applique work. This particular trade show draws a large contingent of Amish and Mennonite folk ... so it will be interesting to see if any of the ladies comment on my applique and I would love them to look at and critique my work.