Old 07-13-2012, 05:54 AM
BuzzinBumble

Jody, I had the same questions regarding the oiling schedule for my 301 (the Featherweight's big sister). It was a bit of a surprise to know it should be oiled so frequently, but it turned out not to be so hard to do. Not sure how well the answer applies to a Featherweight, but here is what Candace wrote regarding the oiling on a 301:

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
As for oiling and greasing. I do a major greasing of gears and lubing as the diagrams show when I get the machine. Then, I just put a little oil in the oil holes on the bed and top of the machine when I've sewed about 8 hours or so on it( I don't really keep track, just sort of guestimate). I also try to remember just a dot of oil in the hook race. The gears need grease, not oil. I use Triflow products, but Singer lubricant is fine if you have that. You do not need to open up the machine and oil all those areas every 8 hours. That's a once every 6 mos. to a year job, depending on use of course. Some may be able to go longer than that if not the machine isn't used frequently.

You shouldn't have oil flinging anywhere because you should be using it sparingly and not dousing the machine. Hope this helps.