Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight .... how often do you oil yours??? >

Featherweight .... how often do you oil yours???

Featherweight .... how often do you oil yours???

Old 07-13-2012, 05:46 PM

I'm confused -- I called our local machine repair shop (who sells Elna, White, etc) and was told NOT to use grease on the motor of the Featherweight like the instruction booklet tells us. I just bought another FW, the metal grease tube was broken, so I called to ask if they carried it. He said don't put grease anywhere because it gunks up the machine and will ruin the motor.

This is bizarre, since the booklet states to fill the two holes with grease on the motor, I'd assume that is the right thing to do. He said to put sewing machine oil in those holes.

On another note, I found out today the seller is willing to go with my $50 offer of the Red Eye that's totally frozen up. I offered her $50 for machine & cabinet or $10 for the machine head alone. The shop owner said she just wants to get rid of it, so it's mine. Now I have to get it home sometime in the next week, beg/borrow a van...and hope I can oil it enough to get it moving. This machine is missing the thread spool, how hard is it to find one? Where, how much and how do you get it to stay in there?? Obviously, I'm new at this "old machine" stuff. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:51 PM

NO no no!!! NEVER ever oil the motor. Never. Oil will fling around and if it gets on the bushings it can fry the motor. And it does need lube. The singer lube in the tube specifically. I would contact Glenn Williams or Dave Mccallum about a replacement tube.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:11 PM

I thought that he was way off base - don't know how to contact Glenn or Dave for the tube of lube.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:30 PM

Dave: http://www.featherweight221.com/fwrx/index.html
glenn: http://pages.suddenlink.net/joyof301s/glenn.htm
221 parts: http://www.221parts.com/
Old 07-13-2012, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
If you wait to oil until the sound of the machine changes, you're putting extra wear and tear on the machine.

Rule of thumb is to oil after 8 hours of sewing, or every six months if you're not using it often. You also want to oil and then sew, instead of oiling and putting the machine away without running it. (To spread the oil around)
I agree 100% with Charlee.
While I don't time my sewing, I do oil about every 8 hours or once a week, or before any new project. My babies run real quiet! And change those needles frequently, too.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:36 AM

You can usually buy the tubes of Singer lube at Joann and Walmart in blister packs with the other Singer accessories. My favorite online seller has it, too - shop.sew-classic.com

There are several machines which require lube in the motor area. If your sewing machine guy says to put oil in there, go find another sewing machine guy - or better yet, become your own.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot View Post
You can usually buy the tubes of Singer lube at Joann and Walmart in blister packs with the other Singer accessories. My favorite online seller has it, too - shop.sew-classic.com

There are several machines which require lube in the motor area. If your sewing machine guy says to put oil in there, go find another sewing machine guy - or better yet, become your own.
neither our local Joann's or walmarts carry it here anymore. Not even a spot on the shelf for it. I did find mine at a local singer shop though. The links I gave were for people who might be able to help with the broken lube tube in the motor itself.