View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 04:30 PM
Bennett

The second quilt I found I had last seen when my it was passed down to my mother, a little over 10 years ago. I had literally just started quilting at that time. I saw it and liked it, but I hadn't really sought it out to look at it after that. Boy am I glad I discovered it again! This quilt amazes me, and not just because of its colors or workmanship (hand stitched throughout). Fact is, I don't remember my great grandmother. I only have one picture of us together, and I was less than a month old. What little I know is that my great grandfather worked the oilfields in OK; they didn't have a lot of extras. From the string Lemoyne star quilt I grew up with, it would seem that any bit of fabric was used and that quilts were made to be used--pretty in its way, but still with the primary purpose of keeping you warm. But this Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt was barely used, if at all. There is no fading. The jade green outline is luscious. The feed sack fabric flowers are bright and sassy. It seems that there isn't any batting, so it wasn't necessarily made for warmth. It was a thing made to be pretty, and that is the part that amazes me.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share this ramble and pictures with y'all. Maybe quilting is in my blood. I wish I knew if my great grandmother used a sewing machine at all--and what kind she would have splurged on or inherited.

The most awesome quilt:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]348891[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]348892[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]348893[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails granflower.jpg   granflower2.jpg   granflower3.jpg