Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Maybe this is where I get it from? >

Maybe this is where I get it from?

Maybe this is where I get it from?

Old 07-13-2012, 04:29 PM

Default Maybe this is where I get it from?

This isn't directly related to a VSM, but I'm starting to wonder if I came to quilting (and as an extension of that, VSMs) naturally. I've started a new job out of town, and I stay with my mother those days. I was poking around looking for a drawer to store some of my work clothes in that weren't filled with toys, family papers, or linens. Suprise, I found 2 of my great grandmother's quilts. One had been mine growing up, going with me to college and then to my own home. I thought it had been lost or tossed, but apparently it made its way back to my mom's. I was very happy to see it--faded, shattered fabrics, and holey--probably not worth a darn to anyone but me. I think it's one of the reasons I love scrappy quilts, and string quilts especially. It was definitely a utility quilt. No show stopper, but it was my favorite growing up.

My grammy, mother, me, and my great grandmother--a quilter.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]348888[/ATTACH]

String Lemoyne (Lemon) star quilt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]348889[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]348890[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails greats.jpg   stringstars.jpg   stringstars2.jpg  
Old 07-13-2012, 04:30 PM

The second quilt I found I had last seen when my it was passed down to my mother, a little over 10 years ago. I had literally just started quilting at that time. I saw it and liked it, but I hadn't really sought it out to look at it after that. Boy am I glad I discovered it again! This quilt amazes me, and not just because of its colors or workmanship (hand stitched throughout). Fact is, I don't remember my great grandmother. I only have one picture of us together, and I was less than a month old. What little I know is that my great grandfather worked the oilfields in OK; they didn't have a lot of extras. From the string Lemoyne star quilt I grew up with, it would seem that any bit of fabric was used and that quilts were made to be used--pretty in its way, but still with the primary purpose of keeping you warm. But this Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt was barely used, if at all. There is no fading. The jade green outline is luscious. The feed sack fabric flowers are bright and sassy. It seems that there isn't any batting, so it wasn't necessarily made for warmth. It was a thing made to be pretty, and that is the part that amazes me.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share this ramble and pictures with y'all. Maybe quilting is in my blood. I wish I knew if my great grandmother used a sewing machine at all--and what kind she would have splurged on or inherited.

The most awesome quilt:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]348891[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]348892[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]348893[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails granflower.jpg   granflower2.jpg   granflower3.jpg  
Old 07-13-2012, 04:31 PM
Power Poster

Pretty quilt, and very well loved! neat story to go with it! Neat that you still have it to cherish!
Old 07-13-2012, 04:57 PM

Love the quilts and the photo of you ladies is precious.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:11 PM

You've got some treasures.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:13 PM

Absolutely beautiful; and that it has survived, is a wonder! You've got some mighty big shoes to fill...
Old 07-14-2012, 03:43 AM

So happy that you have found these treasures. They remind me of a couple that my DH's aunt made and we were able to purchase. So many of the older quilts were made from the good parts of old clothing that could no longer be worn. I know my DH can remember some of the parts in our quilt being his aunt's apron or sunday dress. I'm not sure the quilts I make will be as cherished as some of these older ones but I do try to put information on my quilts so there won't be so many unanswered questions once I'm gone. Do write down the information you have about your quilts and keep it with the quilts. Your children will enjoy reading the stories.... history of their family.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:46 AM

Lovely quilts! Perhaps the Grandmother's Flower Garden is in such wonderful shape because it was made later in your great-grandmother's life. Some of the fabrics look like 50's to me. Many of them are from the 20's/30's. I have one pieced by my great-grandmother from the same era, only its background is white instead of green, and it's set a little differently with tiny red diamonds in between.

Enjoy your reclaimed quilts!
Old 07-14-2012, 06:33 AM

I love the Most Awesome GFG. Your great grandmother certainly had an eye for color and placement. You are so fortunate to have such a treasure.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:39 AM

I know at one time we had 2 other quilts. A double wedding ring and a 5 patch (I think) with alternating plain squares. I used to love going over the double wedding ring and looking at the different fabrics, kind of like playing I Spy.

I like the idea that the flower garden may have been a later quilt. Maybe not so much pressure to use up every little thing for the family, and she was able to make some pretties just for the enjoyment. I'm definitely speaking up and letting my mother and sister know I'd really appreciate this one when the time comes for it to be handed down again.