View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 09:12 PM
burchquilts

My only caution... I used white dress shirts of my Dad's & had a horrible experience. He wore a white, starched dress shirt every singel day of his working life (& had them done at the dry cleaners). So when my Mother gave me a box of my Grandmother's quilting scraps, I thought "I'll really make a special quilt by using Daddy's old shirts (the ones that had frayed cuffs, etc) for the background". Oh, I was so excited! So I made a scrappy Maple Leaf lap quilt with my treasures & it turned out great (if I do say so myself). Then I washed it (hey, all the fabrics had been thru the wash a zillion times already, right?) & the white shirt/background fabric SHREDDED. I'm not kidding when I say it looked like it had been thru a sawmill! So my quilt was ruined. And my Grandmother's scraps were gone. I was sick. Just thinking about it makes me so sad. So use them but be a tad wary. Who knows what the dry cleaners use on men's shirt (especially white cotton ones). But I hope you do make a quilt & if so, please show it to us! Sorry to be such a Debbie Downer but I don't want anyone else to experience what I did.