Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Men's dress shirts >

Men's dress shirts

Men's dress shirts

Old 07-13-2012, 04:51 PM

I found a Goodwill clearance store that sells clothes by the pound.. I like buying the long sleeve shirts during the summer, as they have more variety.. I made a rag quilt in flannel. All from shirts, bathrobes, and PJ's.. I was picky on the quality, and ended up with decent quality flannel.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:03 PM

I've been having fun with my DH's old shirts by using the sleeves for sleeves. Got it? The width at the cuff is slightly wider than 4" with the buttons buttoned. I just straightened out the rest of the sleeve and put in a seam to make it 4"+ for the entire width. So much fun to see the surprised look on someone's face when they see.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:12 PM

My only caution... I used white dress shirts of my Dad's & had a horrible experience. He wore a white, starched dress shirt every singel day of his working life (& had them done at the dry cleaners). So when my Mother gave me a box of my Grandmother's quilting scraps, I thought "I'll really make a special quilt by using Daddy's old shirts (the ones that had frayed cuffs, etc) for the background". Oh, I was so excited! So I made a scrappy Maple Leaf lap quilt with my treasures & it turned out great (if I do say so myself). Then I washed it (hey, all the fabrics had been thru the wash a zillion times already, right?) & the white shirt/background fabric SHREDDED. I'm not kidding when I say it looked like it had been thru a sawmill! So my quilt was ruined. And my Grandmother's scraps were gone. I was sick. Just thinking about it makes me so sad. So use them but be a tad wary. Who knows what the dry cleaners use on men's shirt (especially white cotton ones). But I hope you do make a quilt & if so, please show it to us! Sorry to be such a Debbie Downer but I don't want anyone else to experience what I did.