Old 07-14-2012, 04:23 AM
bearisgray
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
What would be the goal, bear?
Just curious - seems like it would be kind of 'handy' to be able to combine the steps, Of if one can't remember which product does what - just dump them both in the water before adding the fabric and be done with it!

It is my understanding that Synthrapol and Retayne were developed for hand/home dyers of fabrics? AND that they are NOT interchangeable.

(I HAVE read that if I were hand dying something - it is my understanding that I would use Retayne first in an attempt to maintain/set the dye/color of the fabric. (Don't remember if one does this next or not - would one dry the fabric and then heat set it with a hot iron? It would seem logical to me, but I know little about dying) Then Synthropol is used to keep the excess dye afloat in the water)

I've heard that some compounds become more volatile when combined - such as bleach and ammonia - I"m willing to 'believe' that without personally checking it out.

So I was also just wondering - I don't/won't use either on a commercially dyed fabric.

I'm of the mindset that commercially dyed fabrics should NOT need further attention from the end user to make the dyes permanent.

I can 'sort of' understand excess/unattached/loose dye - and the need for washing it out -

This is one of those topics that comes up often - with the same results -

Some do, some don't - use the products.

I suppose one could remember to use them alphabetically - r before s

Retayne before cutting
Sythropol after sewing