View Single Post
Old 07-15-2012, 10:12 PM
margecam52

I don't pin my bindings. I sew the lenths together...press the seams open (I do use a diagonal seam)..using a bit of spray starch. I don't fold and press the binding...I press it open flat. I do use one pin to start...I fold the binding at the start, matching raw edges and place one pin at the start (this is just so I know which side is the "right" side of the fabric strip. I leave about 12 inches unsewn, and fold as I sew, matching the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the quilt. I continue, making my mitered corners as I go...I end about 12 inches from where the join of the batting will be. I do a diagonal cut on one end...then lay that out on the quilt.. remove the pin, and lay out that end...marking where I want my seam line to be (you can use a pencil, as this is the "wrong" side of the fabric), but I make a snip where the seams will sew together..cut over far enough for a seam allowance...match & sew...works for me..and it avoids the pressed fold line getting off kilter...which can cause puckers. This method allows me to make minor adjustments and not have that pressed fold in the way.

Originally Posted by MommaDorian View Post
When binding, how do you pin? Straight up along with edge of your quilt or do you come from the side pointing into your quilt.

Also, what is a good sharp brand of pins? I have a couple of different kinds, but I'm thinking there has to be something sharper. Of course, knowing me I'll just poke myself even more. But when I bind or pin PP it's too hard to poke mine through that many layers.