Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
2 Questions about Pins >

2 Questions about Pins

2 Questions about Pins

Old 07-14-2012, 06:47 AM

Default 2 Questions about Pins

When binding, how do you pin? Straight up along with edge of your quilt or do you come from the side pointing into your quilt.

Also, what is a good sharp brand of pins? I have a couple of different kinds, but I'm thinking there has to be something sharper. Of course, knowing me I'll just poke myself even more. But when I bind or pin PP it's too hard to poke mine through that many layers.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:00 AM

I use the Clover Flat Flower Head pins. They are nice and long and firm but slide easily into multiple layers. I get mine at Joann's or Hancocks with a coupon of course (or when the notion wall is 50% off!) http://www.joann.com/dritz-flat-flow...kg/xprd315862/ I pin from the outside edge inward.

I only pin when sewing the front of my binding to my quilt sandwich. After that, I use the Clover Binding Clips to hold the back of the binding in place when sewing either by machine or by hand. Amazon has the best price for these lately http://www.amazon.com/Clover-Wonder-.../dp/B004ZKPX8A
Old 07-14-2012, 07:02 AM

I don't ever pin a binding. When I am attaching it I just feed and guide. For the final step I use fusible( 1/4 inch strips) to hold everything right where I want it.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:14 AM
Power Poster

if i machine stitch binding to the back, i pin in along the seam where i will sew. i make sure to catch the binding on the back side. the pins are vertical to the binding. i remove a pin, stitch, remove the next, stitch.
if i hand stitch the binding to the back, i use the silver clips that bend and snap shut. (like hair clips). love them.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:17 AM

I use the little silver hair clips and "pin" as I go - no more than 12" ahead. That way it lies as flat as can be. No need to scrunch or stretch to fit.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:53 AM
Power Poster

I quit using pins a long time ago. I used and tried all kinds of clips. Now the only clips I use are Clover Wonder Clips. They are as close to perfect as any clip I have used.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:08 AM

I don't use pins I just make sure it is pressed and starched good just sew it to the quilt lining it up with the 1/4" line I basted on the quilt already. Then when I turn it over and hand stitch I just match up and hand sew it. I used to use pins but they were always in the way. This works for me
Old 07-14-2012, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by MommaDorian View Post
When binding, how do you pin? Straight up along with edge of your quilt or do you come from the side pointing into your quilt.

Also, what is a good sharp brand of pins? I have a couple of different kinds, but I'm thinking there has to be something sharper. Of course, knowing me I'll just poke myself even more. But when I bind or pin PP it's too hard to poke mine through that many layers.

When I do the machine sewing, I pin as always, the the head toward the machine itself. When doing the hand work, I pin with the head to the right---------actually the same way. It's the most convenient for me. You just have to do what works for you.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:22 AM

I have been using a Quilting Clover pin now for the last couple years. Love them. Very long, super thin, sharp and with glass heads. Never have a problem getting them into fabric. Sometimes but not often they do bend a little, but they bend back.....secert is thin and long with glass heads (so they don't melt when ironing)
Old 07-14-2012, 08:26 AM

I use hair clips and have purchased enough from the Dollar Tree to go all the way around my quilts.