Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: 2 Questions about Pins

I must be weird. I don't use anything. Except for when I reach the corners on the back side and I am hand stitching. Then I pin the corner the way I want it to fold and pin a bit before and a bit after. But I am hand sewing the back binding. When I am machine stitching the front of the quilt binding I just make sure that it is long enough to go around with extra to spare and start out. I always have left overs of binding.
    Bernina 440QE
    Bernina 1150 serger
    Janome 1000CPX coverstitch

I dont use pins of any kind. I just line the binding up to the edge as I go. I find that if you pin you get alot of puckers. You can totally eliminate them by not pinning.

I use hair clips too...they work great, are really inexpensive, and i don't get "stuck".

Temple, TX (Transplanted from New York 2010)
    I only use the wonder clips by Clover, now. I had tried pins, but they were too big of a pain in the butt. I would recommend the Wonder Clips to anyone.

Have a blessed day.

debra
    cny_sewer39

Sew Much Fabric, Sew Little Time...

I started using the snap hair clips because I got tired of getting stuck all the time by pins. Ouch! But, I really want some Clover clips when I can afford them. They sound like the thing to use.

Blog Entries
    I pin along the edge and then tuck the tip of the pin in the binding so not to get stuck ( again ) lol
    SMILE- it will make everyone wonder what you are up to.
    Stay strong and keep looking up.

Smile Use pins only on corners

I use straight of grain binding folded in half and stitch on the edge using no pins except for the corner to miter the binding. I don't pres my binding in half and find it is much easier to blind stitch it down on the back. Always have good results. When I do use pins on any sewing project I use Superfine Iris, they are expensive but last a very long time. I just bought them from Amazon for $14.95 with free shipping.

Call me cheap, but I use the binder clips that come from the office supply store (Staples, etc.) and right now at the back to school sale you get 50 of the small ones in lovely bright colors for $2. They just clip on, they stay on better than pins and they don't poke me if I have to fold it up before I get it done.

Blog Entries
    Sometimes I pin from left to right - so I don't have to take out the pins before sewing past them. Other times, I just hold my binding in place & sew without pins. When sewing the binding to the back I use the flexible clips. Bought first ones from somewhere on line but find the hair clips found at the dollar store works just as well and much cheaper
    TwandasMom

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    I only pin when sewing the front of my binding to my quilt sandwich. After that, I use the Clover Binding Clips to hold the back of the binding in place when sewing either by machine or by hand. Amazon has the best price for these lately http://www.amazon.com/Clover-Wonder-.../dp/B004ZKPX8A
    If you have a Joann's in your area and you have one of their 50% off coupons (assuming 50% is nation wide, but this I am not sure of) - you could pick up these Clover Wonder Clips (50 count) for $16.50 + tax right now (regular price is $32.99, these do not appear to be on sale right now).
    Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    I don't ever pin a binding. When I am attaching it I just feed and guide. For the final step I use fusible( 1/4 inch strips) to hold everything right where I want it.
    Me too
    Blessings from Janice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    I don't ever pin a binding. When I am attaching it I just feed and guide. For the final step I use fusible( 1/4 inch strips) to hold everything right where I want it.
    You use fusible? Do you mean fusible interfacing? Tell me more!!!
    Dorian

If you've met one child with Autism, you've met ONE child with Autism.

I only pin at the corners for binding, usually. BUT my binding is probably the worst part of my quilt so maybe best to do the OPPOSITE of what I do!

I don't like doing the binding so I do it the easiest way I can think of. If it's a flannel backed quilt I just flip the excess over the edge to use that as binding. I figure it was good enough for my grandma so it's good enough for me! If I'm not doing the flip-around method I more or less mimic that method using homemade binding - I lay it right-side down on the back of the quilt and sew it on by machine, about a half-inch or so in. Then flip it around and fold & sew by machine to the front. If I do it right it lines up pretty well and looks like normal machine-stitched binding, but sometimes it wavers on the back side. BUT since it was all stitched down on the back to begin with the binding never comes off, it just doesn't look as perfect as when it lines up.

I don't pin in either case, except to hold corner folds (I fold it so it looks mitered). It works better and goes faster if I just hold the fabric in place, sew a foot or so, fold and grip a new length, sew...fold....sew... etc.

I also never press my binding; to me the creases make it harder to line it up right. It seems more forgiving if it's just a flat strip of fabric.

I use old fashioned bobby pins. They don't "bend" the edge of the quilt. Super cheap and work great.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3