Old 07-16-2012, 07:34 PM
DawnFurlong

I have 5 sewing machines, 3 that are set up and used.

The 3 that I use are a vintage Singer 15-91 - for piecing and FMQ. Love to FMQ on this one! She's my favorite.

I also have a Singer 401, which I use for piecing, binding and decorative stitches. She sounds and feels powerful! No slipping around of fabric here, and no tugging to get multiple layers through.

Lastly, a Janome MC 4800, which I have to admit to using the least. I prefer the mechanical machines. Though last weekend I used all 3 machines on 1 project (a first!). Piecing on the 15-91, decorative stitches on the 401, and I needed the free arm on the Janome.

My 2 unused machines are a New Home (my first very basic sewing machine, it is 22 years old - still stitches just fine, does straight stitch and zig zag, has dials to turn for the stitches). And a Japanese Clone (needs electrical replaced, found it for $40 at an antique shop, was very intrigued with the badge that indicates it was made in Occupied Japan. Came with a cabinet to boot. Believe it is called a Bel Air).

Would have never thought I would have this many machines - but honestly, the 3 that I bought this year (2 Singers and the Bel Air) - cost me less than the straight stitch only machine I was looking to buy for the bigger harp space. I enjoy them each for a different reason.