View Single Post
Old 07-17-2012, 07:43 PM
Ramona Byrd

[QUOTE=noveltyjunkie;5370749]I have seen so many negative things about the Red Cross here, and I could never understand it.

People were always going on about charging for coffee....
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I heard that too, when I was on the local board of the American Red Cross. I heard it from my dear brother-in-law, who remained bitter all his life. But when I was taking night calls, I could access military phone lines, and I could get anyone home from anywhere in the world, and I could get it with no cost to the ones I brought home. But that simple doughnut thing has cost the Red Cross a hideous sum, and continues to do so to this very day. The Red Cross did NOT want to charge for it, but political pressure was strong then as now. But...the memory lingers on. I read once that people will not remember quite what you said. They will not remember just exactly what you did, but they most certainly WILL remember how you made them feel. And the Red Cross made our own GIs feel badly..like second class citizens my BIL said. I'm afraid that will live in their memories as long as they see the light of day.