View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 05:00 AM
Edie

Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie View Post
I would do whatever would comfort her most. Some go for the cancer ribbon motif but that would just make me think more about the illness- personal thing.
I totally agree - I have made chemo quilts and I have also made Cancer quilts for raffles for the Susan G. Komen three day walk - Absolutely nothing reminding any one of any illness. Why am I so adamant about this? My husband has gone through Leukemia and Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma and I know he wouldn't want anything reminding him of what he is going through (was). Now he sleeps under a "Floating Star" Quilt made by Moi!!!!!!

Another thing, if you are or anyone is going to make cancer/chemo quilts for Infusion Departments (where they have chemo), check first with the department. I wanted to make some for the people where my husband had chemo and they said no because after each use they have to be washed. And that many washes are not conducive to a quilt. Same goes for Children's Hospitals (make one to take home) - but check to see if they allow the quilts. You also have to be super careful on the quilting or tying down - nothing to get in the way of the tubes, needles, clamps getting in the way.

I much prefer to give them as a "get out of the hospital" gift. Edie