Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: When you say chemo quilt...

When you say chemo quilt...

does that mean just a quilt you give someone while they go through chemo....or do you use a certain pattern or do things a certain way? My sister in law will be going through chemo and I'm thinking about something for her.

Blog Entries
    I would do whatever would comfort her most. Some go for the cancer ribbon motif but that would just make me think more about the illness- personal thing.

I make my quilts with angels appliqued on them. I have made many and give them away as soon as I hear of someone with cancer going thru chemo. I usually make them 45 x 60.

You might make it very soft and not too small. I personally would make q quilt that is comforting both in materials and design. I agree on the pink ribbon. I can't handle it either because it reminds me of the disease. I think a happy quilt or something that the person enjoys would be my choice to make.
    Anna Quilts

I think it's a quilt (maybe sort of lap-sized) that is to be used while the person is going thru chemo. I know when my BFF was going thru her rounds of chemo, she always remarked onhow cold the rooms were & how cold the chemo made her feel.

Here are a couple of links I found re this:

http://www.bjsquiltbasket.com/ChemoQuilts.html

http://quiltstory.blogspot.com/2012/...and-years.html
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

I made one for my mom while she was going through her chemo. She requested bright daisies, so that is what I did. I did do pink ribbon as part of the backing.
    Proud Navy Mom!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/ChatterBugQuilts?ref=pr_shop

I plan to make a "chemo" quilt for a co-worker's sister. I made one for a little girl who is battling the disease. I didn't go by any pattern, just some strips of pretty bright cheery colors. The good healing thoughts that go into the quilt speaks volumes and your SIL is gonna feel that love!
    Family is a priority, not a convenience!
    Take time to be friendly... It's the road to happiness.
    Take time to give... It is too short a day to be selfish.

Soft, cuddly, washable, and in a color scheme and pattern that would be comforting to the recipient.

Power Poster
    You can do any pattern you like. Most people go with bright colours and cheerful patterns. They are generally a nice lap/couch size to haul around with them for treatments(gets cold with drugs) and for napping with as they recover at home. Sometimes they personalize it with a person favourite colour or fabric design.

I'm in the camp of don't even think of giving me one that is
    ... pink
    ...... or with the ribbon logo
    ......... or with angels
    ............ or with anything even remotely connected to what I am dealing with.

Not to worry, I will not be oblivious to what I am fighting ... and will certainly not be ignoring it.
    I just know I will want something that is all about me, and something that would give me strength in ways beyond what I have. Something that will strengthen me and build on that inner strength, guts, gumption and glory that I have.

Sorry for those who think those symbols are wonderful ... it just shows the diversity of what some would want ... and what some would not want.

If making one ... choose wisely, hopefully knowing whom will be receiving, well enough, to choose what they would want.
    If not ......... Simply ASK!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by misskira View Post
    Soft, cuddly, washable, and in a color scheme and pattern that would be comforting to the recipient.
    I agree.

Personally, I wouldn't want the ribbons either. Nothing against those who do, it's just not something that I would want for myself. I would just want something very comforting, so that is what I give. I did bright happy colors for my great-nephew (Laurel Burch Jungle theme) and soft blues/greens/yellows floral D9P for my neice's quilt. Fortunately, they are both cancer free now!

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    I'm in the camp of don't even think of giving me one that is
    ... pink
    ...... or with the ribbon logo
    ......... or with angels
    ............ or with anything even remotely connected to what I am dealing with.

Not to worry, I will not be oblivious to what I am fighting ... and will certainly not be ignoring it.
    I just know I will want something that is all about me, and something that would give me strength in ways beyond what I have. Something that will strengthen me and build on that inner strength, guts, gumption and glory that I have.

Sorry for those who think those symbols are wonderful ... it just shows the diversity of what some would want ... and what some would not want.

If making one ... choose wisely, hopefully knowing whom will be receiving, well enough, to choose what they would want.
    If not ......... Simply ASK!
    I agree ...as cute as the ribbons are....I want something that does not put the disease in my face all the time. I.. recently made a pink ribbon quilt with some embroidery....but I will be donating it for an auction.
    Pam H.

"Those that mind, don't matter and those that matter don't mind" ~ Dr. Seuss

I agree with all of you who said steer away from the pink ribbons. One - it is too much "in your face" (or mine) and two, it is all over the place now, as is pink this and pink that it becomes almost meaningless, at least to me. anything cozy sounds good to me.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Perhaps instead of using the ribbon of the cancer, use the color in some way in the quilt, in pieced blocks or among the strips/sashing/borders.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    Perhaps instead of using the ribbon of the cancer, use the color in some way in the quilt, in pieced blocks or among the strips/sashing/borders.

Jan in VA
    OOOOOOOOOO Pleeeeeeease Noooooooooooooooo!!!!
    At least I pray that no one does that for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I do not do pink now .... and will not do pink if and when!
    (or whatever colour for the symbolic token)

Please accept this with no disrespect to those who would appreciate the pink, or ribbons or angels etc.

This is totally JIMHO and hopefully portraying a message for others of the same opinion.

Power Poster
    How about dragons breathing fire? I've seen a great VIP print - gold dragons breathing red fire on a black background!

Destroy those bad cells!

Have red flannel on the back!

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    OOOOOOOOOO Pleeeeeeease Noooooooooooooooo!!!!
    At least I pray that no one does that for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I do not do pink now .... and will not do pink if and when!
    (or whatever colour for the symbolic token)

Please accept this with no disrespect to those who would appreciate the pink, or ribbons or angels etc.

This is totally JIMHO and hopefully portraying a message for others of the same opinion.

Oh I am so with you on this. The ribbon and the color pink have become cheap marketing gimmicks. The same with all the othe colors. Don't bring near me either! IMHO of course.

Quote Originally Posted by sewmary View Post
    Oh I am so with you on this. The ribbon and the color pink have become cheap marketing gimmicks. The same with all the othe colors. Don't bring near me either! IMHO of course.
    The marketing gimmick I can appreciate and respect, as yes, they need to raise funds.

What I would not want is the 'in my face" reminder ........... I will know enough about THAT without further reminders.
    I want reminders about life ........ not dis-ease and potentially non-life.

I agree with everybody. It's best to ask your SIL what color she would want. Personally, I would not want pink at all. One more thought, don't use a weighty batting. When my Mom was being treated for cancer, she sometimes couldn't stand anything heavy on her skin even though it was very cold during the infusions and she needed a blanket. So maybe a poly rather than a cotton batting or a very lightweight cotton. Anybody else have the same problem?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by misskira View Post
    EXACTLY!!! It doesn't matter the pattern, or the price of the fabric, what matters is that you took the time to make something personal for the person you are giving it too.

I'm a cancer patient. Stage 4 Breast Cancer, I've been fighting for the last 4 years. That's what matters most to me about the quilt my friend and her daughters made for me. I taught them all to quilt one summer when the girls were in elementary school. The oldest is now a freshman in college. The quilt is just your basic string quilt using scraps from all the different quilts we have made together since that first summer. The backing and batting is are old cotton sheets.

YOU matter. The feelings you have for your SIL MATTER. Being there when things get ruff MATTER

Nothing else does.

It's not breast cancer, so pink ribbon wouldn't be the one anyway. I hadn't really thought about how you wouldnt want a huge reminder in your face, since you already know what you're dealing with. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll be thinking about the colors she likes. I just really want one more way to make her more comfortable and feel as much love as I can give.

I receive infusions every eight weeks in the chemo room, although, thankfully, I don't have cancer. I've been going to the same place for the last five years and I do see that a lot of the cancer patients are just plain cold! They have hospital blankets in the room, and although they do the job, it is a lot nicer when they have something a bit more cuddly and cozy. I would think your sister-in-law would appreciate a lap size quilt, maybe with its own bag so she can easily bring it to her chemo. Most patients I see have a ton of appointments to manage, along with blood work results, and medication names, and I think it would be helpful to have some pockets in the bag and maybe even a pocket appointment book or some sort of notebook along with a pen.

If you're stuck on a design, you should think about what you might have made her before she got this diagnosis. She's still who she is, even with cancer.

I'll keep her in my thoughts.

Blog Entries
    This is a quilt that I made for our niece when she was under going chemo!!!QUOTE=beckyboo1;5373365]does that mean just a quilt you give someone while they go through chemo....or do you use a certain pattern or do things a certain way? My sister in law will be going through chemo and I'm thinking about something for her.[/QUOTE]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A quilt is a blanket of love. Sharon

When one of my dearest friends was going through chemo, the LAST thing she wanted was a reminder. She just wanted normalcy, in her life. She was always cold and her skin was extremely sensitive. Just think pretty, soft, and cuddly warm.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Blog Entries
    it is interesting that some are saying not to use caner ribbons in quilts because it will remind the person of having the disease. what i know about cancer survivors in my life (my family and friends) is that they will always have some reminder of the disease, they will always be survivors and they are not attempting to shy away from the fact that they have this disease.

my uncle proudly tells you that he beat his prostate cancer, or my uncle who has bladder cancer will discuss it with you, one of my good friends became an ambassador for the susan komen foundation, one of the young women i mentored (and a friend) now runs marathons to raise money for hodgkins lyphoma, my sil in now in her battle with cancer and wears her ribbons (given by co-workers) proudly and i am designing quilts for 2 of the above and it will have cancer ribbon fabric in it.

my friend who became an ambassador for the komen foundation has produced 2 fashion shows (she is a clothing designer) with all pink ensembles to celebrate breast cancer survivors that she has modeling in her shows. someone at work gave her pink boxing gloves when she was going through treatment that she proudly displays (and wears) when she goes back to the treatment center to encourage others who are going through.

i don't understand this "in your face" sentiment with the cancer ribbon fabrics because the disease is already in your face. the survivors will always need to be checked and keep an eye on their situations, it will not go away. the many cancer survivors around me and in my life (at church also) have never expressed any sentiments (to me) that they did not want anything given to them with cancer ribbon items in or on it. several have become advocates due to their situations. i guess it is all about perspectives.
    Last edited by Havplenty; 07-18-2012 at 01:38 AM.
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast