Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: When you say chemo quilt...

Quote Originally Posted by sewmary View Post
    Oh I am so with you on this. The ribbon and the color pink have become cheap marketing gimmicks. The same with all the othe colors. Don't bring near me either! IMHO of course.
    You are TOTALLY ON the mark with this!!! Funny how many of us can see through the gimmicks!

When DH had chemo I was the one that got cold; usually not him. Nurses gave me a warmed blanket that felt wonderful. Don't know if all chemo centers/hospitals have a blanket warmer though.
    When BFF had breast cancer a friend gave her an engineer's cap made from a pillow ticking type print with one pink ribbon on it. She loved it(she was quirky type dresser). But when she had stage IV lung cancer, she didn't like pink or any other color ribbons any more.
    Also, did you know pink ribbons are only to symbolize breast cancer? There are many other colors for different types of cancers, and one color that stands for any type of cancer. Don't remember which is "for" what type. The chemo or doctor's office or Google could tell you what color stands for that particular cancer.
    As for me if I had to have chemo I think I would like a cheerful light weight Minkee backed quilt.

Blog Entries
    I agree with the poster that said,"no pink ribbons". Use something bright and cheerful or warm and cuddley.
    A finished quilt excites me!! Whether is it mine or yours!

Do make the quilt, in whatever color you choose, at least 45 x 60 so it will tuck around the feet and shoulders to keep the patient warm; they get so cold during treatment. I like fleece on one side and soft cotton on the back. Usually I tack them with my heart design on my machine.

I just made a chemo quilt for a coworker using the 1600 inch pattern (1 - moda jelly roll [Butterfly garden]) with borders and wrote comforting words of the quilt. She loves it and is displaying it when not using it.

Since it was a surprise, I just observed her to see what colors to use, but asking is always good. I did it large lap with a 50/50 bamboo and cotton batting, which made is lighter.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I too think of a chemo quilt as a comfort during chemo. Some people do not want to be reminded any more than they have to of their disease so they would not like the special cancer fabrics. Others would not mind. Play it by ear and I wish for a speedy remission.

I was on the receiving end of a cancer cuddle quilt from Bonnie Hunter's on-line mystery quilt group, totally knocked my socks off with surprise. They have done several others and always use this heart pattern which is sewn in two half units, but choose different colorways. One was batiks, one was pastels, etc. So as a suggestion, hearts are always good

I have pink ribbon pins on all my sweaters, I blinged 'em up with rhinestones though.
    And I'm looking for a Singer 91 clone in pink.
    Wouldn't have been caught dead in pink before. I'll probably grow out of it, but for now I find the ribbons comforting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
    I was on the receiving end of a cancer cuddle quilt from Bonnie Hunter's on-line mystery quilt group, totally knocked my socks off with surprise. They have done several others and always use this heart pattern which is sewn in two half units, but choose different colorways. One was batiks, one was pastels, etc. So as a suggestion, hearts are always good

I have pink ribbon pins on all my sweaters, I blinged 'em up with rhinestones though.
    And I'm looking for a Singer 91 clone in pink.
    Wouldn't have been caught dead in pink before. I'll probably grow out of it, but for now I find the ribbons comforting.
    wonderful quilt. what a way to dress it up your pink ribbons..... with bling. i like your attitude. the cancer ribbons are to show support and to celebrate being a survivor. i also have red dress pins to show support for women's heart health. never thought to bling them out. i will need to look into that. btw, do you mean a singer 15 pink clone? i am not familiar with a singer 91 clone. i do have a real singer that you can have and paint it pink. lol

it is interesting to see what others are saying about cancer ribbons. not one person has mentioned that the cancer ribbons can represent being a survivor or a way for a family member or friend to show support but many are saying it just reminds them they have the disease. i know for sure there are more prevalent things that can remind a survivor that they have this disease than a small colored ribbon (not just pink ribbons either). i am finding this fascinating that sentiments are focusing on something more negative with cancer ribbons than focusing on the positive of this symbol, being a survivor.

the glass really is half full to some and half empty to others. i'm so glad i see the half full image.
    Last edited by Havplenty; 07-19-2012 at 01:12 PM.
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

I have not have and do not anticipate, in the near future, chemo but I believe I would love something bright and cheerful and not in any way a constant reminder of my illness, but a thought of hope and the future. Sorry about the run on sentence.
    Esther

I agree that you should make what they recipient would like. Personally, I LIKE pink. I liked pink before it was used as a breast cancer color. And I would would like a pink quilt - soft pink , dark pink, bright pink - whatever! It reminds me of being a little girl and being comforted. So,while I see the point about the ribbons, don't reject pink out of hand if the recipient would actually like pink!

I love the storyquilt story. I somewhat disagree with the Central Oregon Hospital plan. Why not give the quilt to each patient and let them wash it etc. They it doesn't need to be so serviceable. Fabric that is washed in the high temperature, sturdy machine doesn't stay nice no matter what it is. Ugh to their scratchy cotton "serviceable" quilts. I made one for a friend's mother with a lovely bright flannel front and a cuddly minkee on the back. She used it at home and took it to the hospital with her. I'm of the opinion that the pink ribbon is a great fund raising device but not needed on a quilt!

Quote Originally Posted by mic-pa View Post
    I make my quilts with angels appliqued on them. I have made many and give them away as soon as I hear of someone with cancer going thru chemo. I usually make them 45 x 60.
    That's the size I made for my sister because, first of all she was very short, but also because it worked well on the chemo chair. I made a D9P in pinks and blues, paisleys. She loved it. Unfortunately she didn't get to enjoy it for very long.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Quote Originally Posted by qwkslver View Post
    I just got diagnosed with cancer. I wouldn't want one with anything that reminded me of cancer. No ribbons, just something soft and comforting. Just my thoughts.
    :::::: sending cyber {{{{{ HUGS }}}}} and prayers for healing :::::::::::::
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

My husband has been undergoing treatment for 13 years. His favorite quilt is a "manly" quilt that I made out of shirting flannels in 1999 for his first round of chemo. It is warm, soft and full size. He used it in the infusion room during his first round of chemo. Yes, the infusion rooms and hospitals are usually cold. I have made him other quilts for other times of treatment but the flannel plaid one remains his favorite. He always seeks it out when he doesn't feel well. I just had to write to you because today he underwent his third bone marrow transplant and is tucked underneath a quilt of love in his hospital bed at this very moment. Quilts are great comforters..to the patient and the family.....so match the quilt to the one who is to receive it!!

Quote Originally Posted by scrappingfaye58 View Post
    I am fighting Melanoma... and so far, have been cleared as far as not having to haver chemo. That being said, I would prefer something warm and cuddly, and cheery. I know what I am fighting, and would rather ignore it when I am snuggling under it.
    ::::: sending {{{{{ Hugs }}}}} and prayers, your way! :::::
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    I'm in the camp of don't even think of giving me one that is
    ... pink
    ...... or with the ribbon logo
    ......... or with angels
    ............ or with anything even remotely connected to what I am dealing with.

Not to worry, I will not be oblivious to what I am fighting ... and will certainly not be ignoring it.
    I just know I will want something that is all about me, and something that would give me strength in ways beyond what I have. Something that will strengthen me and build on that inner strength, guts, gumption and glory that I have.

Sorry for those who think those symbols are wonderful ... it just shows the diversity of what some would want ... and what some would not want.

If making one ... choose wisely, hopefully knowing whom will be receiving, well enough, to choose what they would want.
    If not ......... Simply ASK!
    Got to go with you on this! Too much "advertisement of other people's personal pain" for me. I do know that others like the symbols, colors, etc...just remember not everyone does.

Blog Entries
    i made this for my niece as she was going through chemo for breast/bone cancer. she loved it and when i found out she was terminal i managed to make it in 5 days to send it from arizona to nova scotia for her. she got to use it for 6 weeks before her passing. her only sister is now the proud owner of it and gives me such great joy that she can get comfort from it. the templates of phrases can be purchased at blockpartystudios.com Name:  DSC04915.JPG
Views: 348
Size:  1.30 MBName:  DSC04912.JPG
Views: 428
Size:  1.14 MB

I've just made one for a girlfriend. She likes flowers and when she was first diagnosed two birds (doves) came to her bedroom window. her parents are both deceased but felt this was a sign they are watching over her. I found this small panel that had two birds and flowers and matched the charm pack I had. I put it together and she loved it. The colors were bright and cheery. I did label it with a verse. She loved it.
    Sharon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by huntersgrammie View Post
    i made this for my niece as she was going through chemo for breast/bone cancer. she loved it and when i found out she was terminal i managed to make it in 5 days to send it from arizona to nova scotia for her. she got to use it for 6 weeks before her passing. her only sister is now the proud owner of it and gives me such great joy that she can get comfort from it. the templates of phrases can be purchased at blockpartystudios.com
    i hope your niece found some comfort under this wonderful quilt. i made one for my uncle which he got to enjoy for all of one week but he stayed covered with it the whole week he had it to use. he wouldn't let that quilt out of his sight. i felt so humbled that he found so much comfort in it. his wife has it now to enjoy.
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

Blog Entries
    I have made several what I call "Comfort Quilts", mine were no certain pattern,, I didn't do the pick ribbon,, just a lap size quilt for them to wrap in when they are taking chemo,,, the main thing is they know that you care.. I am making one now for a friend that has pancreatic cancer and it is a string quilt put together in a barn raising pattern... I will try and post a picture when it is done..

I am making one like this with the same sayings for a friend of mine. Her breast cancer was in remission after oral meds, then it came back in her bones. No pinks though. Just bright colored batiks. This one is really precious!

Quote Originally Posted by huntersgrammie View Post
    i made this for my niece as she was going through chemo for breast/bone cancer. she loved it and when i found out she was terminal i managed to make it in 5 days to send it from arizona to nova scotia for her. she got to use it for 6 weeks before her passing. her only sister is now the proud owner of it and gives me such great joy that she can get comfort from it. the templates of phrases can be purchased at blockpartystudios.com Name:  DSC04915.JPG
Views: 348
Size:  1.30 MBName:  DSC04912.JPG
Views: 428
Size:  1.14 MB

Thank you for this thread I have put the suggestions of size and a pocketed carry bag as a note in my iPad so I don't lose it. I also want to include the suggestions in our Quilt Guild Newsletter as we do a lot of charity quilts.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Blog Entries
    love to see it when your done. my thoughts and prayers to you and your friend. rachelle

You All Rock

I have made a few and I make them using bright cheerful colours but one of the favourites is a Quillow backed with flannel with a handle, it makes is to more versatile and useful and easy for using and carrying. I NEVER put cancer ribbons on them, not tasteful IMO!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast