Thread: Fat Thread?
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2007, 08:24 AM
k_jupiter

Originally Posted by kathy
I was in a couple of quilt shops lately and looking at the quilts they have on display the thread seems really thicker than regular thread . Is that what longarms take? It was like buttonhole thread. I don't get out much and most of the quilts I've seen in person were hand quilted. This thread really showed up well and looked very nice, none of my machine (regular singer) quilting thread looks like that.

Waiting to be enlightened
kathy
I am not an expert... but...

I have tried some fat thread in variegated colors on my test lap quilt, I am making for keeping warm on these cold, cold, san jose nights. Thread size 40 if I remember correct.

You need a different needle for the old sewing machine. A 130 instead of a 90 quilting needle is what I used, the bobbin thread is the standard thin quilting thread.

Since I didn't do every line in this thread, only certain patterns (diamonds echo stitched, if you must know), it really popped out on the dark background, and blended in on the lighter colors. Very interesting effect, no more trouble than using regular thin thread(50 - 60), I didn't need to adjust tension on the Bernina at all. Your mileage might vary. I am contemplating using it in small amounts on the big quilt, if I ever get it basted.

tim in san jose