Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fat Thread? >

Fat Thread?

Fat Thread?

Old 03-26-2007, 07:35 AM

I've quilted several quilts using verigated. Superior threads has "stitch out" charts that show you what theirs would look like in stitching. Go for it!
Old 03-26-2007, 08:24 AM

well i bought a ball of the # crochet cotton that Patrice mentioned. I really thinks that's it. I haven't had enough time to play with it but I tried it in the bobbin and ir worked and looked just fine. Tried it thru the needle and it kinda wadded up on the bottom, had regular thread in bobbin. I figured if I used it on top and bobbin it would be too heavy but I may try it or learn to quilt from the bottom!
Old 03-26-2007, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by kathy
well i bought a ball of the # crochet cotton that Patrice mentioned. I really thinks that's it. I haven't had enough time to play with it but I tried it in the bobbin and ir worked and looked just fine. Tried it thru the needle and it kinda wadded up on the bottom, had regular thread in bobbin. I figured if I used it on top and bobbin it would be too heavy but I may try it or learn to quilt from the bottom!
Hey Kathy, when you say it kind of wadded up on the bottom, do you mean the bottom of the needle (like at the eye), or on the back of your quilt?
Old 07-19-2007, 06:17 AM

Carla, I'm going thru my posts looking for something and see I never answered your question, it was wadded up on the bottom of the quilt, but looked real good on top, any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails my-first-quilt-top-resized.jpg   _dsc7253resized.jpg  
Old 07-19-2007, 08:04 AM

Hey Kathy,

It could be a couple of things. The first thing I would check is, of course, the tension; sounds like the top tension may be a bit too loose to compensate for the varying weights of the top & bobbin threads.. maybe bump the top tension up a bit. If this does not work, try a bigger needle with a bigger eye. The larger needle shaft will create a larger hole for the thread to settle into, & the larger eye will create less friction on the larger thread. Also, as suggested earlier, you could always wind it into your bobbin, flip it over, & quilt from the back... it's interesting to do it that way at the very least. :lol:

If these suggestions don't work, PM or email me & we'll get it figured out. Then you can post your solution if you want... or keep 'em guessing... :lol: j/k

Let me know how things work out for you.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:36 AM

Sashiko quilting (Japanese) uses something like a #5 perle cotton to make big stitches. It looks lovely especially done in the clamshell design on blue denim. They use almost a crewel needle for that type of quilting.

As to quilting stitches showing: I handquilt a whole lot of my stuff. I WANT the stitching to show. The Amish use black thread regardless of the color of the quilt so that the exquisite quilting shows. I am trying to get as good as they are... but it isn't working. I can get maybe 8 stitches to an inch, not the 12 in a wall hanging I have made by some Amish sisters which is white and is quilted with white. It is truly beautiful.

I decided long ago that if I wanted to do something big (bed sized) I would tie it. I handquilt most of my wall hangings. It is relaxing and I get kudos for the quilting, not just the pattern, color arrangement, etc. And as I make a lot of Amish style quilts, my quilting shows nicely.

I am presently machine quilting a wall hanging that has about a zillion seams and I wanted that quilting to show also to add to the beautiful colors. Besides, handquilting over seams is NOT much fun. I chose a wavy decorative stitch that shows up on the strips. However, machine quilting is not my style. I have a Flynn frame, and several other things that would make machine quilting fairly easy, I would think, but I prefer sitting down in the evening with a quilt in my lap.It helps to unwind me after a long day at work.

Okay, lunch is over... back to work!

Anita

Old 08-30-2007, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by anita211
Sashiko quilting (Japanese) uses something like a #5 perle cotton to make big stitches. It looks lovely especially done in the clamshell design on blue denim. They use almost a crewel needle for that type of quilting.

As to quilting stitches showing: I handquilt a whole lot of my stuff. I WANT the stitching to show. The Amish use black thread regardless of the color of the quilt so that the exquisite quilting shows. I am trying to get as good as they are... but it isn't working. I can get maybe 8 stitches to an inch, not the 12 in a wall hanging I have made by some Amish sisters which is white and is quilted with white. It is truly beautiful.

I decided long ago that if I wanted to do something big (bed sized) I would tie it. I handquilt most of my wall hangings. It is relaxing and I get kudos for the quilting, not just the pattern, color arrangement, etc. And as I make a lot of Amish style quilts, my quilting shows nicely.

I am presently machine quilting a wall hanging that has about a zillion seams and I wanted that quilting to show also to add to the beautiful colors. Besides, handquilting over seams is NOT much fun. I chose a wavy decorative stitch that shows up on the strips. However, machine quilting is not my style. I have a Flynn frame, and several other things that would make machine quilting fairly easy, I would think, but I prefer sitting down in the evening with a quilt in my lap.It helps to unwind me after a long day at work.

Okay, lunch is over... back to work!

Anita
Ya know what my fingers say?

Crewel, crewel needles.

After reading my earlier posts... I use size 75 quilting needles for 50/3 thread. I use size 90 needles for 40/3 thread. The size 12 thread I have run through was also done with the size 90 needle on the mighty Bernina 830 with no problems. Now anything larger than that will probably have to be used in the bobbin. The thought of messin with the tension on the bobbin case gives me the willies.

tim in san jose