Old 07-21-2012, 06:04 AM
Friday1961

Originally Posted by Briarberry View Post
I'm just guessing but maybe it's because there are so many baby boomers out there who have retired and quilting is such a great hobby. Sure a lot of young people quilt too but when I go to quilt shows most of the folks there are older and they are the ones with the time and money. I am nearing retirement and fairly new to quilting but I am so glad I found such a great hobby. I used to worry what I would do once I retired but now I can see myself happily quilting with no interruptions like going to work! For now I just quilt when I can and am grateful for all the great advice and support I get on this board.
Me, too. For me it's been great therapy after some unexpected surgery. I can do as much or little as I like and my(retirement) schedule allows. And I like that it actually produces something useful. I paint, too, but without a dedicated studio, painting can be messy. I've always been a fabric nut, even when I made all my clothes; when I saw a fabric that I loved I immediately began planning what to make with it. In quilting I do pretty much the same; I start with fabric(s) that I can't resist and then start thinking about how to put them together as a quilt.

By the way, love your avatar!