Old 07-21-2012, 06:54 PM
captlynhall

I decided to make a quilt because I wanted to try my hand at what my grandmother taught me over 55 yrs. ago. I had no idea then that quilting was such a big thing. My trip last year to the Houston Quilt Festival was as about as exciting as it gets and I was astonished that so many people, thru out the world, quilted. I have to say, all the help I got from YouTube and from books at the library, and suggestions from the ladies at my LQS were instrumental in making the experience of my first quilt so enjoyable. Also the great girly time I had when I took a quilt class was something very new to me and I loved it. Forums like this make me feel like part of a much bigger world, and I feel like I have 'met' so many upbeat, sharing and talented ladies that love quilting as I do. Although I hand quilt on floor frames like my grandmother did, I couldn't do without my rotary cutter and mat. All these new techniques are a lifesaver for those of us with limited time, not to mention I think I do a much better job than if I had to use scissors and paper templates. The fabrics do tend to be expensive, but oh how great it is to have such fabulous choices. I think all of this combines to make quilting such a popular and pleasing pastime. Besides, I won't be leaving my kids and grand kids a fortune when I die, but I hope the quilts I have made for them will be treasured not just by them, but by their kids and grand kids as well. I guess we leave a bit of immortality with each quilt we do.