View Single Post
Old 07-22-2012, 10:20 AM
Pat G

Originally Posted by pdcakm View Post
have had both kinds of instructors mentioned, ie: can't deal with behinders or aheaders. also, have had many instructors who recognized the different levels and were able to help everyone. different people with different skills. regardless of the instructor i just try to keep a positive attitude, get as much as i can from them, then go home with a new project.
just took a class from anelie belden on her thoroughly modern dresden. great instructor, great project. she gave group instruction, worked closely with each of us at our own level. for those who got each task done early she would come by and give additional instructions. for those who were struggling she would come to them and give additional help. love my new dresden plate table topper and plan to do more.
hope you find an instructor you enjoy. keep trying as there is lots to learn out there.
I so agree with how you handle these classes. I do the same by just sitting quietly working on my project leaving the instr. free for the ones who need more help. I will ask if I really get stuck though. As others have said, I rarely take classes anymore since I've figured out how to do most things & watch lots of online videos.
It's all for fun anyway so why ruffle anybody's feathers over it.

I once taught crafts for a whole season in Ariz. We had a "mentally challenged" woman who was the first to sign up for every class for the following wk. She didn't care what it was but always came prepared. She'd demand my full attention if I let her but soon learned how to manage her which usually meant passing her on to another student. She was so enthusiastic we didn't want to discourage her.. But the biggest prob. was that she'd turn up at my front door sev. times during the wk.
Her sewing was gluing parts to her base since nobody would let her use a sewing mach.